Chapter 156-Heart

March 3rd - March 6th, 2007

San Francisco, California

A few days later, we stumbled across a case that Dean was super excited about

A few days later, we stumbled across a case that Dean was super excited about. All signs were pointing to a werewolf. So, while Sam was at the morgue to get some information on the lawyer who had been mauled, Dean and I sat in the motel getting weapons and silver bullets ready for the hunt. Once Sam came back from the morgue, he told us that the lawyer was missing his heart, and the coroner said that if she didn't know any better, she would believe his wounds were caused by a wolf.

"This lawyer guy, the first heart-free corpse in town?" Dean asked while he cleaned his gun "first man. Over the past year, several women have gone missing. Dead bodies all washed up later in the bay, too deteriorated to draw firm conclusions." Sam said "but no hearts?" Dean asked "no hearts. They were all hookers working Hunter's Point. Now, cops are trying to keep things under wrap, but they're looking for a serial killer." Sam said "and the lunar cycle?" Dean asked "mm-hmm. Yeah, month after month, all the murders happen in the week leading up to the full moon." Sam replied.

"Which is this week, right?" Dean asked "hence the lawyer." Sam said "awesome." Dean smiled "Dean, could you be a bigger geek about this?" Sam said as he shook his head "I'm sorry, man, but what about a human by day, a freak animal killing machine by moonlight, don't you understand? I mean, werewolves are badass. We haven't seen one since we were kids." Dean said with a smile on his face "okay, Sparky. And ya know what? After we kill it, we can go to Disneyland." Sam said sarcastically "you know what the best part about it is? We already know how to bring these suckers down. One of these bad boys right to the heart. So, what's our next move?" Dean said as he held up a box of silver bullets.

"Talk to the girl who found the body." Sam said "all right. Here. I don't know how long we'll be gone. This money is for takeout. Do not leave this room." Dean said as he looked at me "yeah, I know." I said "I know that you know, but you don't always listen." Dean said "Dean, I won't leave the room, all right?" I replied "good." Dean nodded to Sam, and then the two of them left. While they were gone, I decided to brush up on creatures with Dad's journal. After a while, got bored and turned on the TV. Jeopardy was on, so I decided to sit back and play along. Not too long later, Sam and Dean came back.

"So?" I asked as Dean walked over to me as he was taking off his jacket "the girl's name is Madison. She was the lawyer's assistant for two years. Apparently, when the dude got a few drinks in him, he got a little creepy. She also had a stalker ex-boyfriend, Kurt, who she happened to see in the bar that her, a few co-workers, and the lawyer were hanging out in on the night the lawyer died." Dean said "so, are you thinking that Kurt could be our guy?" I asked him "possibly. We're going to his apartment next. We came to see if you wanted to come." Sam said.

[......]
Once we reached Kurt's apartment, Dean picked the locks, and we walked in. Looking around, it seemed like a perfectly normal apartment, nothing creepy or weird about it.
We all searched around, but I wasn't really finding anything out of the ordinary "anything?" Sam asked "no, nothing but leftovers and a six-pack." Dean said as he peered into the fridge "check the freezer. Maybe there's some human hearts behind the Haagen-Dazs or something." Sam said as Dean nodded and turned to open the freezer, we all heard a door open and close, followed by a clattering outside. Dean stepped forward toward the sliding glass door, moving me out of the way as he did.

When he reached the door, he opened it and stepped out "come here! Check it out." Dean yelled to us as Sam and I joined him, he pointed to the end of the balcony we could see claw marks gouged into the concrete wall. As we looked over the balcony, we could see that they were all the way down to the street. A few seconds later, we heard a gunshot coming from the alley below us. We all quickly ran down, and when we turned the corner into the alley, we saw a heap of something behind a dumpster. As we got closer, we realized it was a mauled police officer.

"I'll call 9-1-1." Sam said as he pulled out his cellphone and walked off as Dean bent down to examine the corpse, but it was clear to see that the heart had been ripped out of his chest. When Sam walked back over, Dean looked up "I'd say Kurt's looking more and more like our Cujo." Dean said "Dean, if he's out here, we better check on
Madison." Sam said.