Chapter 87-Provenance

June 24th - June 29th, 2006

New Paltz, New York
Sitting in the motel room scrolling through the tv channels I look up seeing Sam walking in the front door "where's Dean?" I asked him "oh, uh...he's not gonna be back tonight, so his bed is all yours." Sam said "why not?" I asked with confusion "he found a friend...or two." Sam replied "ew." I groaned in disgust as he chuckled at me "yeah." Sam sighed "so, what's the plan with Dean?" I asked him "uh, don't worry about that. We are going to pick him up on our way out tomorrow morning." Sam said as I nodded at him.

[......]

After we picked up Dean we headed over to the couples house as me and Sam head inside while Dean waits for us taking a quick nap heading back to the car I stick my hand inside pressing on the horn scaring him awake as I laughed "that is so not cool

After we picked up Dean we headed over to the couples house as me and Sam head inside while Dean waits for us taking a quick nap heading back to the car I stick my hand inside pressing on the horn scaring him awake as I laughed "that is so not cool." Dean said "we just swept the Telesca's with EMF. It's clean. And last night, while you were...well..out..." Sam said "good times." Dean mumbled as I groaned.

"I checked the history of the house. Nothing strange about the Telesca's." Sam shrugged "all right, so if it's not the people and it's not the house, then maybe it's the contents. Cursed object or something." Dean said "the house is clean." I said "yeah, I know, you said that." Dean replied "no, we mean, it's empty. No furniture, nothing." Sam said "where's all their stuff?" Dean asked.

[......]
Pulling up to a giant mansion we get out of the car and head inside "consignment auctions, estate sales...looks like a garage sale for WASP's if you ask me." Dean said as he grabbed more food as we continued walking in "can I help you?" Someone asked as we turned around to see an older man in a tux standing behind us as Dean shoved more food in his mouth and put on a 'proper' voice. "I'd like some champagne, please." Dean said "he's not a waiter." Sam whispered.

"I'm Sam Connors." Sam said as the man just looked at Sam, not moving while Sam pulled his hand back and pointed to Dean "that's my brother Dean. We're art dealers, with Connors Limited. And this is our sister Addison." Sam said "you. Are...art dealers." The man said "that's right." Sam replied "I'm Daniel Blake. This is my auction house. Now, gentlemen, this is a private showing, and I don't remember seeing you on the guest list." The man said "we're there, chuckles. You just need to take another look." Dean said gesturing for the man to go check.

As we continue looking around at all the different art pieces I stop at one "super creepy." I muttered as Sam and Dean chuckled at me "a fine example of American Primitive, wouldn't you say?" A women behind us said "well, I'd say it's more Grant Wood than Grandma Moses...but you knew that. You just wanted to see if I did." Sam smirked "guilty. And clumsy. I apologize. I'm Sarah Blake." She said "I'm Sam. This is my...brother, Dean. And my sister Addison." Sam said "so, can I help you with something?" She asked.

"Yeah, actually. What can you tell us about the Telesca estate?" Sam asked her "the whole thing's pretty grisly if you ask me, selling your things this soon. But Dad's right about one thing, sensationalism brings out the crowds. Even the rich ones." She replied "is it possible to see the provenances?" Sam asked her "I'm afraid there isn't any chance of that." She replied "why not?" Sam asked her "you're not on the guest list. And I think it's time to leave." Mr. Blake said

As Dean put on his 'proper' voice again "well, we don't have to be told twice." He said "apparently, you do." Mr. Blake said "okay. It's all right. We don't want any trouble. We'll go." Sam said as Dean put his hand on my back and led us out of the building, with Sam following behind.

[......]
Making our way into the our hotel room I grab my bags before hopping out of the car "grant wood, grandma moses?" Dean asked "art history course. It's good for meeting girls." Sam said as Dean unlocked the door "it's like I don't even know you." Dean said as he swung the door open, and we looked around the room in awe noticing it was decorated like a retro disco room completely black, white, and silver and mostly decorated with polka dots and circles.

"Huh." We said in unison as we continued into the room and dropped our bags on the floor "what was......providence?" Dean asked "prov-e-nance. It's a certificate of origin, like a biography. You know, we can use them to check the history of the pieces, see if any of them have a freaky past." Sam explained "huh. Well, we're not getting anything out of chuckles, but Sarah.." Dean said as he snapped his fingers and pointed at Sam "yeah, maybe you can get her to write it all down on a cocktail napkin." Sam said jokingly "not me." Dean laughed.

"No, no, no, pickups are your thing, Dean." Sam said "it wasn't my butt she was checking out" Dean said "eww." I muttered "in other words, you want me to use her to get information." Sam said "sometimes you gotta take one for the team. Call her." Dean said as he held out his phone "all right, but after this..." He said pulling out a small present wrapped in a newspaper out of his bag as he handed it to me "happy birthday." He said with a smile on his face.

"Aww. Sammy. You didn't have to." I said as I opened it revealing a pocket knife with the letters S & D carved on the handle "that way you'll always have us with you wherever we are." Sam said "it's perfect. Thank you." I replied pulling him into a hug "you're welcome." He replied as Dean pulled out a box behind his back "happy birthday, kiddo." Dean said handing me a box as I open it seeing a Walkman inside.

"No fucking way. Thank you." I gasped pulling him into a tight hug "you're welcome, Ads." He said kissing my forehead gently.