Chapter 120-Doing Some Digging Into The Building

Back at the apartment, the four of us went through weapons and research "I'll flip you for the sofa." Jo said to Dean as he cleaned his gun "does your mother even know you're here?" Dean asked her "told her I was going to Vegas." Jo said "you think she's gonna buy that?" Dean asked "I'm not an idiot. I got Ash to lay a credit card trail all the way to the casinos." Jo replied "ya know, you shouldn't lie to your mom. Shouldn't be here either." Dean said as he shook his head at her "well, I am. So, untwist your boxers and deal with it." Jo replied "where'd you get all that money from, anyway?" Sam asked "working at the Roadhouse." Jo said.

"Hunters don't tip that well." Dean said "well, they aren't that good at poker, either." Jo muttered

Ring! Ring! Ring!

"Yeah." (...) "oh, hi, Ellen." Dean said as Jo quickly walked over to him as he pulled his phone back "i'm telling her." Dean mumbled while Jo pointed her finger at him as they broke out into a furious, muttered argument "I haven't seen her." (...) "yeah, I'm sure." (...) "absolutely." He said as he hung up the phone.

[......]
Jo, Sam, and I sat at the table. There were blueprints of the apartment building spread out.
Sam and I went through Jo's research while she looked over the blueprints as Dean paced behind Jo, thinking "this place was built in 1924. It was originally a warehouse, converted into apartments a few months ago." Jo said as she twirled her knife around "yeah? What was here before 1924?" Dean asked her "nothing. Empty field." Jo shrugged "so, most likely scenario, someone died bloody in the building, and now he's back and raising hell." Sam said.

"I already checked. In the past eighty-two years...zero violent deaths. Unless you count a janitor, who slipped on a wet floor." Jo sighed "would you sit down, please?" She snapped as Dean glared at the back of Jo's head and then sat in the open seat next to me "so, have you checked police reports, county death records-." Dean said "obituaries, mortuary reports, and seven other sources. I know what I'm doing." Jo said "I think the jury's still out on that one." Dean said as he gave Jo a dirty look "could you put the knife down?" He snapped as Jo rolled her eyes but did as Dean asked while the two of them glared at each other. Sam and I exchanged glances, feeling uncomfortable.

"Okay! So, uh, it's something else then. Maybe some kind of cursed object that brought a spirit with it." Sam said "well, we've got to scan the whole building. Everywhere we can get to, right?"Jo asked him "right. So. You two take the bottom two floors." Dean said as he pointed at us Then he turned his attention to Jo "you and me, we'll take the top two floors." He said as he stood up while Jo quickly walked over to Dean and got in his face "we'd move faster if we split up." She said "oh, this isn't negotiable." Dean replied.

[......]

The next morning arrives as I rolled out of the giant king-size bed that Jo let me take

The next morning arrives as I rolled out of the giant king-size bed that Jo let me take. She woke me up on the couch the night before. She said she was going to stay up all night to research anyway as I walked out of the bedroom, stretching spotting Dean sleeping in an extremely uncomfortable-looking position on the recliner as
I sat at the table with Jo. She was still twirling her knife around "where's Sam?" I asked "he went to get coffee." Jo said with a smile on her face "any more luck?" I asked her.

"No, unfortunately." She said as we both looked up at the sound of groaning coming from the living room "morning, princess." I said with a smirk on my face as Dean stretched and looked around "where's Sam?" Dean asked "went to get coffee." Jo and I said in unison as Dean stood up and hunched over "ugh. My back." Dean groaned as he walked over to the table and looked at Jo "how'd you sleep on that big soft bed?" Dean asked her "I didn't. I gave it to Addie. I've just been going over everything." Jo said as Dean raised an eyebrow as he watched Jo twirl her knife.

He reached down and grabbed his bag, pulling out a bowie knife, unsheathing it, and handing it to her "here." Dean said handing it to her as Jo furrowed her brow and took it "what's this for?" Jo asked him as Dean smiled slightly "work a hell of a lot better than that little pig-sticker you're twirling around." Dean said as Jo picked up her knife and handed it to Dean. When he took it, he examined it and then furrowed his brow "William Anthony Harvelle." Jo said making Dean hand her knife back "I'm sorry. My mistake." Dean said as he picked up his knife and sheathed it.

"What do you—what do you remember about your dad? I mean, what's the first thing that pops into your head?" Jo asked him as Dean shook his head "come on, tell me." Jo said "I was six or seven, and uh, he took me shooting for the first time. Ya know, bottles on a fence, that kind of thing. I bulls-eyed every one of 'em.
He gave me this smile, like..." Dean smiled softly and shook his head "I don't know." Dean muttered "he must have been proud." Jo said "what about your dad?" Dean asked her as Jo sighed "I was still in pigtails when my dad died, but I remember him coming home from a hunt. He'd burst through that door like-like Steve McQueen or something. And he'd sweep me up in his arms, and I'd breathe in that old leather jacket of his." Jo said.

I smiled softly, knowing exactly what that felt like as Jo sighed "and my mom, who was sour and pissed from the minute he left, she handed Nate over to my dad, and she started smiling again. And we were-we were a family. You wanna know why I want to do the job? For him. It's my way of being close to him. Now tell me what's wrong with that." She asked.

As Dean shook his head "nothing." Dean muttered suddenly, Sam burst through the door, empty-handed "where's the coffee?" Dean asked him "there are cops outside. Another girl disappeared." Sam said.