Chapter 53-Suspicious People

Making our way inside Scotty's we open the door and head inside "oh, hey, Scotty. Can I get a coffee, black? Oh, and some of that pie, too, while you're at it." Dean asked him as he made his way to the back "do you want anything?" He asked me as he sent a glance my way "pie too, please." I said making my brother smirk at me "make that two pies." He said as we sat at a table next to the couple "how ya doin'?" I asked them as they smiled at me.

"Just passing through?" Dean asked them "road trip." The girl said with a smile on her face "hmm. Yeah, us too." Dean said as he nodded at them as Scotty came and refilled their drinks before turning to look at us "I'm sure these people want to eat in peace." Scotty said "just a little friendly conversation. Oh, and that coffee, too, man.
Thanks." Dean said with a smile on his face "so, what brings you to town?" I asked them "we just stopped for gas. And, uh, the guy at the gas station saved our lives." She said.

"Is that right?" Dean asked her "yeah, one of our brake lines was leaking. We had no idea. He's fixing it for us." The guy said "nice people." I said "yeah." The guy replied "so, how long 'til you're up and runnin'?" Dean asked them "sundown." The guy replied "really. To fix a brake line?" Dean asked him as he nodded at him "you know, my brother knows a thing or two about cars. He could probably have you up and running in about an hour. He wouldn't charge you anything." I said with a smile on my face.

"Ya know, thanks a lot, but I think we'd rather have a mechanic do it." The girl said "sure. I know. Ya know, it's just that these roads.
They're not real safe at night." Dean said leaning over towards them making them exchange looks with each other "I'm sorry?" The girl asked "I know it sounds strange, but, uh...you might be in danger." Dean muttered desperately trying to convince them to leave this town "look, we're trying to eat. Okay?" The guy said "yeah. Ya know, our brother could give you this puppy dog look, and you'd just buy right into it. Think you could give them the puppy dog eyes?" He asked me making me give him a strange look.

"I'm fifteen. Why would they listen to me?" I asked him as we looked up at the sound of the doorbell ringing seeing the sheriff walking towards us "thanks for coming, Sheriff." Scotty said "I'd like a word, please." The sheriff said "come on. I'm having a bad day already." Dean sighed "you don't want to make it worse." The sheriff replied as I stood up "we're going." I said giving the sheriff a dirty look before we walked to the door getting in the car and taking off "you all right?" Dean asked me.

"I don't like the people in this town. I'm serious. The only normal one here is Emily, but she seems caught up in the delusion of the 'perfect' town. This town gives me the creeps." I said as Dean nodded in agreement. A few minutes later, he started looking into his rear-view mirror "what's wrong?" I asked him "the sheriff's following us." Dean said as he glanced at me until we reached the You Are Now Leaving Burkittsville sign, and the sheriff pulled a U-turn and drove back into the town.

"Can we agree that whatever's happening in that town, everyone in there knows about it?" I asked him "yeah, I would say so." Dean said "what do we do now?" I asked him as I looked at him "wait until dark." Dean said as he kept driving.