Chapter 111-Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things

August 29th - September 1st, 2006

Illinois

Now on the road again like always Sam thought it would be a good idea to visit our mom's grave since we were in town "come on, Sam, I'm begging you. This is stupid." Dean said "why?" Sam asked him "going to visit Mom's grave? She doesn't even have a grave...there-there was no body left after the fire." Dean said "she has a headstone." Sam said as he shrugged "yeah, put up by her uncle, a man we've never even met. So, you wanna go pay your respects to a slab of granite put up by a stranger?" Dean asked him "Dean, that's not the point." Sam replied "well then, enlighten me, Sam." Dean said "it's not about a body, or-or a casket. It's about her memory, okay?" Sam asked.

"Hmm." Dean mumbled "and after Dad, it just-it just feels like the right thing to do." Sam said "it's irrational, is what it is." Dean said "look, man. No one asked you to come." Sam said "why don't we swing by the Roadhouse instead? I mean, we haven't heard anything on the demon lately. We should be hunting that son of a bitch down." Dean suggested "that's a good idea, you should.
Just drop me off, I'll hitch a ride, and I'll meet you there tomorrow." Sam said "right. Stuck-Stuck with those people, making awkward small talk until you show up? No, thanks." Dean scoffed "yeah, 'cause it was so hard for you to talk to Jo last time." I replied as Sam laughed, and Dean frowned at me in the rear-view mirror.

[......]
Sitting on the hood of the Impala waiting for Sam to come back from Mom's grave as I watched with sadness in my eyes seeing Sam coming back as I look around for Dean seeing him talking to a man as he handed him a card as Dean took the card from the man and walked over to us "Angela Mason. She was a student at the local college; funeral was three days ago." Dean said as we started walking back to the Impala "and?" Sam asked him "and? You saw her grave. Everything dead around it, in a perfect circle? You don't think that's a little weird?" Dean asked him "maybe the groundskeeper went a little aggro with the pesticide." Sam said.

"No, I asked him. No pesticide, no chemicals. Nobody can explain it." Dean replied "okay, so what are you thinking?" Sam asked as Dean shrugged "I dunno. Unholy ground, maybe?" Dean said as Sam shook his head and just stared at Dean "un-." Sam said "what? If something evil happened there, it could easily poison the ground. Remember the-the farm outside of Cedar Rapids?" Dean questioned "yeah, but-." Sam said "could be the sign of a demonic presence. Or the-the Angela girl's spirit if it's powerful enough."Dean replied as Sam nodded and then turned away.

"Well, don't get too excited. You might pull something." Dean said "it's just...stumbling onto a hunt? Here of all places?" Sam asked "so?" Dean said shrugging his shoulders "so...are you sure this is about a hunt and not about something else?" Sam asked "what else would it be about?" Dean asked him as Sam sighed heavily and shook his head before he went to his side of the car "ya know, just forget about it." Sam said "you believe what you want, Sam, but...I let you drag my ass out here. The least we could do is check this out." Dean replied "yeah. Fine." Sam said "girl's dad works in town. He's a professor at the school." Dean said as he got into the car while Sam sighed and gave me a look.

[......]

Walking into the school we finally find Dr

Walking into the school we finally find Dr. Mason's office in the Department of Archaeology & Greek Studies building at the university. Dean knocks on the door as the doctor opened it shortly after "Dr. Mason?" Dean asked as Dr. Mason looked at us up and down, confused "yes?" He said "I'm Sam. This is Dean. And this is our sister, Addison. We were friends of Angela's. We-We wanted to offer our condolences." Sam said "please come in." Dr. Mason said.

As we entered, Dr. Mason closed the door behind us offering us water and then pulled out a photo album as he flipped through it, showing us pictures of Angela and her friends and family "she was beautiful." Sam said "yes, she was." Dr. Mason said while Dean had been looking at the books on the bookshelf "this is an unusual book." He said showing us the cover "it's ancient Greek. I teach a course." Dr. Mason said "so, a car accident, that's-that's horrible." Dean said "Angie was only a mile away from home when, uh..." Dr. Mason said.

"It's gotta be hard. Losing someone like that.
Sometimes it's like they're still around. Almost like you can still sense their presence. You ever feel anything like that?" Dean asked him as Sam and I gave each other a look knowing Dean was prying a little too hard "I do, as a matter of fact."Dr. Mason said while nodding as Sam stared at Dean "that's perfectly normal, Dr. Mason. Especially with what you're going through." Sam said "ya know, I still phone her. And the phone's ringing before I remember that, uh...family's everything, ya know? Angie was the most important thing in my life. And now I-I-I'm just lost without her." Dr. Mason's said as tears filled his eyes "we're very sorry." Sam said softly.

[......]
At the motel room, Dean was still trying to convince Sam that this was a real case "I'm telling you, there's something going on here. We just haven't found it yet." Dean said "Dean, so far, you've got a patch of dead grass and nothing." Sam replied as Dean nodded "yeah, well, maybe daddy doesn't know everything there is to know about his little angel, huh?" Dean said "you know what? We never should have bothered that poor man. We shouldn't even be here anymore." Sam said "so, what, Sam? What, we just bail? Without even figuring out what's going on?" Dean asked him.

"I think I know what's going on here. It's the only reason we went along with you this far." Sam said "what are you talking about?" Dean asked "this is about Mom's grave." Sam said "that's got nothing to do with it." Dean scoffed "you wouldn't step within a hundred yards of it...look. Maybe you're imagining a hunt where there isn't one, so you don't have to think about Mom. Or, Dad." Sam said as Dean just stared at Sam while tightening his jaw "you wanna take another swing? Go ahead if it'll make you feel better." Sam said as Dean shook his head and sighed "I don't need this crap." He said grabbing his keys and jacket.

"Dean, where're you going?" Sam asked him "I'm going to go get a drink...alone." Dean said leaving slamming the door behind him in the process "well, what do you wanna do then?" I asked "o you wanna finally sit down and watch that movie from yesterday?" Sam asked me "yes!" I said smiling as I jumped onto the couch. By the time we had finished the movie, Dean still wasn't back, so we decided to go to bed.

[......]

The next morning, I woke up after having a terrible nightmare seeing that Dean was packing to go somewhere "where are you going?"  I whispered "I'm gonna check out Angela's house

The next morning, I woke up after having a terrible nightmare seeing that Dean was packing to go somewhere "where are you going?" I whispered "I'm gonna check out Angela's house. You wanna come?" Dean whispered "yeah." I said "all right, let's go." Dean whispered as he waited for me to get changed.