Chapter 140-Nightshifter

January 13th - January 15th, 2007

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

We had been in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, for a few days now. Sam and Dean had stumbled across a case about multiple mysterious robberies. All of the robberies were being committed over several weeks by different people their co-workers claimed to have known for years. The weirdest part of the whole thing was that right after they were done robbing different places, they would go home and commit suicide. It made absolutely no sense to steal everything and just kill themselves.
Sam and Dean had talked to employees at one of the jewelry stores that had been hit.
Unfortunately, they no longer had any security footage because the police had taken it. So, they decided to talk to a man who worked as a security guard at Milwaukee National Trust, named Ronald Resnick. He had been beaten unconscious by the assailant, but he had access to the security footage.

When Sam and Dean went to visit Ronald, he was basically a super intense conspiracy theorist. They said that he kept going on about how he was friends with the person who robbed the place but that it wasn't really him because it was actually a "mandroid." Obviously, he was wrong, but he was able to show the boys copies that he made of the security footage. He claimed that he believed the robber was a "mandroid" because, in the footage, light shined off of his eyes like they were "laser eyes." So, they were able to figure out that what we were dealing with was a shapeshifter. Sam was able to get Ronald to release the tapes to him to review them back at the motel.

"Man, that has got to be the kicker, straight up. I mean, you tell that poor son of a bitch that. What did you say? Remand the tapes that he copied? Classified evidence of an ongoing investigation?" Dean laughed "that's messed-up. What are you, pissed at me or something?" Sam said "nah, I just think it's a little creepy how good of a Fed you are. I mean, come on, we could have at least thrown the guy a bone. He did some pretty good legwork here." Dean scoffed "mandroid?" I asked "except for the Mandroid part. I liked him. He's not that different from us. People think we're crazy." Dean said.

"Yeah, except he's not a hunter, Dean. He's just a guy who stumbled onto something real. If he were to go up against this thing, he'd get torn apart. Better to stay in the dark and stay alive." Sam said "yeah, I guess." Dean murmured "so, are we sure it's a-." I sighed "shapeshifter? Yeah, it's just like back in St. Louis. Same retinal reaction to video." Sam said "eyes flare at the camera. I hate those friggin' things." Dean said "you think we don't?" Sam asked him "yeah, well, one didn't turn into you and frame you for murder." Dean said as he went back to tracing the map of the town's sewer system.

"Well, look. If this shifter's anything like the one we killed in Missouri-." Sam said "then, Ronald was right. All right, they like to lair up underground, preferably the sewer. And all the robberies have been connected so far, right?" Dean nodded "yeah." Sam said "with the, uh, sewer main layout. There's one more bank lined up on that same sewer main." Dean said pointing to the map as we drove by the City Bank of Milwaukee and parked in a parking garage down the road. Sam and Dean were dressed as employees from Securiserve Guard Service, which is the company that keeps the bank's security up to date.

"This shouldn't be long, so stay in the car."
Dean said "shouldn't take long? Dean, you don't even know if this thing is going to show up today." I said "if it takes longer than expected, I'll send Sam out here. You guys can go get us some food or something." He said "all right, fine." I sighed as I rolled my eyes as Sam and Dean left, and when I felt like the coast was clear, popped the trunk and grabbed the largest silver knife out of it. I sheathed it and clipped it to the back of my belt, hiding the rest of it with my jacket.