Chapter 158-Looking For The Thing

Dean and I stopped near an alley and just waited for any sign of a werewolf when we heard a woman screaming "stay here, I'II be...ya know what? Screw it, let's go." Dean said as he grabbed my hand pulling me with him as we nodded at each other and then quickly ran in the direction of the screams. As we got closer, we could see a man pinning a woman down in the middle of an alley "hey!" Dean shouted as he pointed his gun at the man.

The man looked up with golden eyes and sharp teeth, and then Dean shot him three times in the chest. The werewolf fell off the woman to her side, and then she quickly stood up and ran away "hey, don't mention it!" Dean yelled to her as we ran over to the werewolf, who was now coughing and choking on blood "it happened... again. Where am I? H-help me. Oh, god. Oh my god." He coughed "all right, easy, Glen. Just take it easy." Dean said as he kneeled down next to him then the man's eyes glazed over, and he was gone "you knew him?" I asked him "yeah, he was Madison's neighbor. Go call the cops." Dean said as I nodded and then ran over to the payphone, picking it up and dialing 9-1-1.

"9-1-1. What is your emergency?" They asked "a man has been shot in an alley, off of Hunter's Point." I said quickly "okay, Miss. Just stay on the...." I hung up and ran over to Dean "ready?" He asked as I nodded at him then we ran back to the Impala. When we made it back to Madison's apartment building, the sun had come up. Dean called Sam to let him know we were back, and he came down to join us a few minutes later, with three small scratches on his cheek "it was sort of sad, actually. Glen had no clue what was going on. Hey, why do you think he turned Madison instead of just killing her in the first place?" Dean asked "I don't know. I mean, he kind of seemed to have a thing for her." Sam sighed "maybe his primal instinct did, too. Maybe he was looking for a little, uh, hot breeding action." Dean said.

"Yeah. Something like that." Sam nodded "so?" Dean asked "so, what?" Sam asked him "speaking of Madison..." Dean trailed off "oh, whatever." Sam scoffed "don't 'whatever' me, man, you liked her. Maybe, uh..." Dean said as he wiggled his eyebrows at him "Dean, she thought I was a stark-raving lunatic." Sam said "you saved her life." Dean said "yeah, but she doesn't know that." Sam said as Madison suddenly appeared in Sam's window "ya know, for a stake-out, your car's a bit conspicuous. What are you still doing here?" Madison asked him "honestly? Uh, we're pretty sure you're not gonna turn tonight, but we gotta be a hundred percent, so...ya know, we're....lurking." Dean said "I know this sounds crazy." Sam said.

"Sure does. Well, if we're gonna wait it out...we might as well do it together." Madison nodded up to her apartment. After Madison let us into her apartment, she turned and stopped in front of us "you were telling the truth, weren't you? About everything. What you did...it was to help me." Madison said "yeah." Sam said softly "I did all of those horrible things...when I turned." Madison muttered "you didn't know." Sam said "so, when will we know for sure? Moonrise?" Madison sighed "no, I don't think so. You turned in the middle of the night last night. I think we've gotta hang in until sun-up." Sam said "okay, well...we didn't meet on the best of terms earlier. How do you know these guys?" Madison asked as she looked at me.

"Brothers." I said "you probably already know, but I'm Madison." She said with a smile on her face as she held her hand out "Addison." I replied as I shook her hand "well, it looks like we've got ourselves a few hours to kill. Poker, anyone?" Dean asked.

[.......]
After a few hours of poker, Sam and Madison sat on a couch and started talking. Dean and I sat on another couch further back in the room behind them. I curled up next to him, using his leg as a pillow. As the moon started to rise, Dean pulled out his gun and placed it on the end table next to him. Sam and Madison turned to look at him, concern in their eyes "oh, no, you guys talk." Dean said as I dozed off, only to be woken up a few hours later by the sunrise. We all stood up and walked over to the window.

"D....does this mean it worked?" Madison asked, a huge smile on her face "yeah. I think so." Sam sighed "oh, god, thank you. Thank you so much." She said as she hugged Sam as Dean cleared his throat, causing them to split apart "you too, Dean. And Addison. Thank you." She said "ah, don't mention it." Dean smirked as there was an awkward pause as we all stared at each other "so, we're just gonna head back to the motel and...watch some Pay-Per-View or something." Dean said as he grabbed my hand pulling me with him as Sam and Madison nodded, and then Dean led me out of the apartment and to the Impala.

[......]
Early the next morning, as we were packing up to leave, someone pounded on our door.
Dean looked over at me and furrowed his brow, and then answered the door to reveal Sam standing there, out of breath "she turned." He breathed "what?" Dean asked, shocked "I couldn't grab her in time." Sam said "we'll find her, Sammy." Dean said as we grabbed our coats and walked out to the Impala.

"I already called Bobby. He doesn't know anything. Except he knew severing the bloodline wouldn't work. That's everyone.
They all say it's impossible to reverse it." Sam said "how come she didn't turn when we were with her?" Dean asked him "Dean..." Sam sighed "so, what, you put her to bed, and then she wolfed out? Maybe she's gotta be asleep to turn." Dean said "what the hell does it matter, Dean? Look, we've gotta find some way to help her, some legend we missed or something." Sam sighed "if there was, don't you think someone we know would've known it?" Dean asked him "well, then we have to look harder! Until we find something." Sam yelled.

"Sammy, I don't think we've got a choice here anymore." Dean said "what?" Sam asked, exasperated "I hate to say it. She's a sweet girl, but part of her is-." Dean sighed "evil?" Sam asked "yeah." Dean mumbled "yeah, that's what they say about me, Dean! So, me, you won't kill, but her you're just gonna blow away?" Sam asked him.

Ring! Ring!

"Hello?" (...) "Madison, where are you?" (...) "well, do you see any street signs?" (...) "all right, hold on. We're coming to get you. Just stay where you are." Sam said as he answered the phone. Once we picked up Madison at a phone booth, she was only wearing Sam's button-up from the day before. So, we quickly drove her back to her apartment. She and Sam sat in chairs across from each other while Dean and I stood next to them. Dean had his gun placed on the kitchen table, just in case "I don't remember anything. I probably killed someone last night. Didn't I?" Madison asked "there's no way to know yet." Dean said as he shook his head.

"Is there something else we can try to make it go away?" Madison asked, teary-eyed "we'll find something. I mean, there's gotta be some answer, somewhere." Sam said "that's not entirely true. Madison, you deserve to know. We've scoured every source. There's just no cure." Dean sighed "I....is he right?" Madison asked him as Sam's eyes filled with tears, and he got up and turned away "well, we could lock you up at night, but...you bust out, and some night you will, someone else dies. I'm sorry. I am." Dean sighed as shook his head "so, I guess that's all there is to it, then."
Madison sighed as she looked down with tears in her eyes.

"Stop it. Don't talk like that." Sam said "Sam, I don't wanna hurt anyone else. I don't wanna hurt you." Madison said as she stood up, picked up the gun, and walked over to Sam "put that down." Sam said, fighting back the tears "I can't do it myself. I need you to help me." Madison muttered "Madison, no." Sam said "Sam...I'm a monster." She choked "you don't have to be. We could find a way, all right? I can. I'm gonna save you." Sam said "you tried. I know you tried. But this is all there is left. Help me, Sam. I want you to do it. I want it to be you." Madison said with tears streaming down her face.

"I can't." Sam said through tears "I don't wanna die. I don't. But I can't live like this. This is the way you can save me. Please. I'm asking you to save me." Madison cried as Sam shook his head, and Dean walked over to them, carefully taking the gun from Madison's hands. Sam quickly walked off into another room. I followed Dean into the other room after Sam, who was pacing and choking back tears "Sam...I'm sorry." Dean said softly "no, you're right. She's right." Sam said "Sammy, I got this one. I'II do it." Dean said.

"She asked me to." Sam said "you don't have to." Dean said as he shook his head at him "yes, I do. Please. Just wait here." He said as he held his hand out for the gun, and Dean handed it to him cautiously as I looked up at Dean as Sam left the room. A single tear managed to escape his eyes. As a gunshot went off, a few escaped mine too.