Chapter 50-Scarecrow

April 10th - April 13th, 2006

"Daddy." I muttered with tears in my eyes making Sam stir awake as he sat on the edge of the bed "hi, baby. Can you put your brother on the phone?" He asked me as I handed the phone to Sammy before taking notice of Dean sitting up in his bed looking at us "dad? (...) are you hurt? (...) we've been looking for you everywhere. We didn't know where you were...if you were okay. (...) we're fine. Dad, where are you?" Sam asked him "what? Why not?" Sam angrily asked "is that dad?" Dean asked him "you're after it, aren't you? The thing that killed mom. (...) a demon? You know for sure?" Sam asked him.

"A demon? What's he saying?" Dean asked him "you know where it is? (...) let us help (...) why not?" Sam asked him "give me the phone." Dean said "names? What names, dad...talk to me, tell me what's going on. (...) no, all right? No way." Sam angrily said "give me the phone." Dean frustratingly replied as he snatches the phone from Sam's hand "dad, it's me. Where are you? (...) yes, sir. (...) uh, yeah, I got a pen. What are their names?" Dean asked him.

"All right, so, the names dad gave us, they're all couples?" Sam said "three different couples. All went missing." Dean said nodding "and they're all from different towns? Different states?" Sam asked out loud "that's right. You got Washington, New York, Colorado. Each couple took a road trip cross-country. None of them arrived at their destination, and none of them were ever heard from again." I explained "well, it's a big country, Addie. They could've disappeared anywhere." Sam scoffed.

"Yeah, could've. But each one's route took 'em to the same part of Indiana. Always on the second week of April. One year after another after another." Dean replied "this is the second week of April." Sam said "yup." I replied while nodding "so, dad is sending us to Indiana to go hunting for something before another couple vanishes?" Sam asked out loud "Yahtzee...can you imagine putting together a pattern like this? All different obits dad had to go through? The man's a master." Dean said.

As Sam pulled the car over to the side of the road "what are you doing?" I asked him with confusion laced in my voice "we're not going to Indiana." Sam replied "we're not?" Dean asked him "no. We're going to California. Dad called from a pay phone...Sacramento area code." Sam said "Sam." I mumbled "Ads, if this demon killed mom and Jess, and dad's closing in, we gotta be there. We've gotta help." Sam replied "dad doesn't want our help." Dean said "I don't care." Sam said.

"He's given us an order." Dean said "I don't care. We don't always have to do what he says." Sam said "Sam. Dad is asking us to work jobs to save lives. It's important." Dean said "all right, I understand, believe me, I understand. But I'm talking one week here, man, to get answers. To get revenge. All right, look, I know how you feel." Dean said sympathetically "do you? How old were you when Mom died? Four?
Jess died six-months ago. How the hell would you know how I feel?" Sam questioned him.

"Dad said it wasn't safe. For any of us. I mean, he obviously knows something that we don't, so if he says to stay away, we stay away." Dean said now sounding annoyed "I don't understand the blind faith you have in the man. I mean, it's like you don't even question him!" Sam shouted
"Yeah. it's called being a good son!" Dean yelled as Sam opened the door getting out of the car "you're a selfish bastard. You know that? You just do whatever you want. Don't care what anybody thinks." Dean frustratingly said.

"That's what you really think?" Sam asked him "yes, it is." Dean replied "well, then this selfish bastard is going to California." Sam said as he slammed the trunk shut making me flinch in surprise "come on, you're not serious." Dean frustratingly said "I am serious." Sam replied as he started walking off with his backpack on his shoulder "it's the middle of the night! Hey, I'm taking off! I will leave your ass! You hear me?!" Dean yelled "that's what I want you to do." Sam replied as he turned to look at him.

As they just stared at each other "goodbye, Sam." Dean said "wait! Sam!" I yelled getting out of the car running towards him making him turn to look at me "so, what? You're just going to leave again?!" I asked as I glared at him "Addie...I have to." Sam replied "no, you don't. How long will it take for us to see you again this time, huh? Another three years?" I asked him as he walked towards me placing his hand on my shoulder.

"Sammy, you left when I was seven. I feel like I just got you back, and now you're leaving me again. Why can't you just suck it up and come along?" I asked him with tears in my eyes "I'm gonna find dad. I'm not just gonna follow his orders anymore. He's gonna need help whether he admits it or not." Sam said "whatever, Sam. Do what you want. You always do anyway." I angrily replied as I walked back to the car "Addison!" Sam yelled "see you in a couple years, Sam!" I shouted opening the car door and hopping in "you good?" Dean asked me "yup. Let's go." I said crossing my arms in front of my chest as I stared out the window.