Chapter 62-Maybe This Is Our Kind Of Job

Cape Girardeau, Missouri

A couple hours later, we pulled up in front of a big newspaper office building as we park getting out of the car and making our way inside "Dean." She said while walking closer to him with a longing look in her eyes "hey, Cassie." Dean said while nodding as they stared at each other for a long moment it was easy to tell how much they cared for each other.

"This is my brother
Sam and you remember Addison." Dean said with a smile on his face "sorry, 'bout your dad." Dean said solemnly "yeah. Me too." She said with a nod shortly after that, we followed Cassie to her house. She wanted to fill us in on what had happened in a more private location. We pulled up to a large house in the middle of a field. When we walked in, Cassie led us to the living room and brought a tray of teacups and a teapot from the kitchen.

"My mothers in pretty bad shape. I've been staying with her. I wish she wouldn't go off by herself. She's been so nervous and frightened. She was worried about Dad." Cassie said "why?" Dean asked her as she poured tea into the cups "he was scared. He was seeing things." She replied "like what?" Dean asked making her sigh "he swore he saw an awful-looking black truck following him." She said looking up at him.

"A truck. Who was the driver?" Sam asked her making her shrug in response "he didn't talk about a driver. Just the truck. He said it would appear and disappear. And, in the accident, Dad's car was dented, like it had been slammed into by something big." She said handing Sam his cup "thanks. Now you're sure this dent wasn't there before?" Sam asked "he sold cars.
Always drove a new one. There wasn't a scratch on that thing. It had rained hard that night. There was mud everywhere. There was a distinct set of muddy tracks leading from Dad's car...leading right to the edge. Where he went over. One set of tracks. His." She replied putting her head down.

"The first was a friend of your fathers?" Dean asked her making her nod in response "best friend. Clayton Soames. They owned the car dealership together. Same thing. Dent. No tracks. And the cops said exactly what they said about Dad. He 'lost control of his car.'" She said "can you think of any reason why your father and his partner might be targets?"Dean asked her "no." She replied "and you think this vanishing truck ran them off the road?" Sam asked "when you say it aloud like that...listen, I'm a little skeptical about this...ghost stuff...or whatever it is you guys are into." She said making Dean chuckle at her .

"Skeptical? If I remember, I think you said I was nuts." Dean said "that was then." Cassie said sadly as they stared at each other "I just know that I can't explain what happened up there. So, I called you." She said as the front door opens "mom. Where have you been? I was so-." Cassie said "I had no idea you'd invited friends over." Mrs. Robinson said looking at the three of us "mom, this is Dean, a...friend of mine from...college. And his brother Sam and sister Addison." Cassie said introducing us "well, I won't interrupt you." Mrs. Robinson replied.

"Mrs. Robinson. We're sorry for your loss.
We'd like to talk to you for a minute if you don't mind?" Dean asked her "I'm really not up for that right now." She replied before turning around and leaving the room, leaving us staring at each other "uh, maybe it's best if you leave for now." Cassie said.