Chapter 70-Mystery Solved

Pulling up to an old house we park the car across the street getting out and making our way towards a man doing some yard work "hi, have you lived in the neighborhood very long?"Sam asked him as the man nodded "yeah, almost twenty years now." He said with a smile on his face "It's nice and quiet. Why, you looking to buy?" He asked us "no, no, actually, we were wondering if you might recall a family that used to live right across the street, I believe." Sam said as he pointed to the Miller's old house.

"Yeah, the Miller's. They had a little boy named Max." Dean said, raising his hand to gesture the height of a small child "right." Sam said as the man sighed and looked down with a sad expression "yeah, I remember. The brother had the place next door. So, uh, what's this about? Is that poor kid okay?" The man said "what do you mean?" I asked him "well, in my life, I've never seen a child be treated like that. I mean, I'd hear Mr. Miller yelling and throwing things clear across the street. He was a mean drunk. He used to beat the tar outta. Max.....bruises.....broke his arm two times.....that I know of." The man said.

"This was going on regularly?" Sam asked him "practically every day.....in fact, that thug brother of his was just as likely to take a swing at the boy, but the worst part was the stepmother. She'd just stand there, checked out, not lifting a finger to protect him.....I must have called the police seven or eight times. Never did any good." The man said "now you said, stepmother?" Dean asked him "I think his real mother died.
Some sorta.....accident.....car accident, I think. The man replied as he turned to look at Sam "are you okay there?" He asked him as I looked over and realized Sam had his head in his hand, and he was grimacing.

"Uh, yeah." Sam replied as Dean tapped him on the shoulder "thanks for your time." Dean said "yeah, thank you." Sam said, still in pain "god." Sam groaned "uh, is he okay?!" The man called over to us "yeah, thank you!" Dean called back and quickly helped Sam into the car as I got in, and then Dean followed and drove off "Max is doing it. Everything I've been seeing." Sam gasped "you sure about this?" Dean asked him "yeah, I saw him." Sam replied "how's he pulling it off?" I asked him "I don't know, like telekinesis?" Sam said "what, so he's psychic, a spoon bender?" Dean asked him.

"I didn't even realize it, but this whole time, he was there. He was outside the garage when his dad died. He was in the apartment when his uncle died. These visions, this whole time...I wasn't connecting to the Miller's. I was connecting to Max! The thing is, I don't get why, man. I guess...because we're so alike?" Sam said "what are you talking about. The dude's nothing like you." I said looking over at him as he sighed.

"Well. We both have psychic abilities, we both-." Sam said "both what? Sam, Max is a monster. He's already killed two people, now he's gunning for a third." Dean snapped "well, with what he went through, the beatings, to want revenge on those people? I'm sorry, man, I hate to say it, but it's not that insane." Sam said "yeah, but it doesn't justify murdering your entire family." Dean said angrily "Dean-." Sam sighed.

As we pulled over in front of the Miller's house "he's no different from anything else we've hunted, all right? We gotta end him." Dean said "we're not going to kill Max." Sam said "then what? Hand him over to the cops and say, Lock him up, officer; he kills with the power of his mind?" Dean asked sarcastically "no way. Forget it." Sam said "Sam-." Dean muttered "Dean. He's a person. We can talk to him. Hey, promise me you'll follow my lead on this one." Sam said, seriously.

"Sam, maybe Dean's right. Maybe he has gone too far. I mean, he killed his family. I can't see someone going back from that." I said cautiously as he looked back at me, seemingly hurt by what I had said, and then turned back to Dean. "Dean, please." Sam pleaded "all right, fine. But I'm not letting him hurt anybody else." Dean said as they both got out of the car leaving me in the backseat.