Chapter 153-Roadkill

February 22nd, 2007

Nevada

Sam and Dean had stumbled across a case about two spirits who had caused twelve accidents over fifteen years on Highway 41

Molly McNamara and her husband, David, had been traveling when they hit Jonah Greeley and then swerved and crashed on the side of the road. David had been the only one to survive the accident, so Sam and Dean had gone to talk to him about Molly. They had found out that Molly had been cremated. There was also no one they could talk to about Greeley because his wife had disappeared shortly after he died.

So, the only choice we had was to drive down Highway 41 on the anniversary of their deaths to find some way to put an end to the haunting. Suddenly, a woman ran out into the road right in front of us "stop! Stop!" She yelled as she waved her arms making me quickly realized that the woman was Molly, the woman who had been causing the accidents "holy!" Dean shouted as he slammed on the brakes "you have to help me!" Molly yelled.

"I don't think she knows she's dead." Sam said softly as Molly ran over to Sam's window and started banging on it "please! Open up! Please!" She said "okay, okay! All right, all right. Just calm down. Tell us what happened." Sam said as he rolled down his window as the three of us got out of the car to listen to her story "there was a man in the middle of the road, and-I swerved, a-and we crashed. And when I came to, the car was wrecked, and my husband was missing. went looking for him, but that's when the man from the road, he-he started chasing me." Molly said.

"Did he look like he lost a fight with a lawnmower?" Dean asked her as Sam gave Dean a sharp look "how did you know that?" Molly asked him "lucky guess." Dean said as he shrugged "ma'am, what's your name?" Sam asked "Molly. Molly McNamara." She said as the three of us exchanged looks because she was exactly who we had been looking
for "I think maybe you should come with us.
We'll take you back into town." Sam said "I can't. I have to find David. He might have gone back to the car." Molly said.

"We should get you somewhere safe first.
Then the three of us will come back. We'll look for your husband." Sam said "no. I'm not leaving here without him. Would you just take me back to my car, please?" Molly asked him "of course. Come on." Sam said.

[.......]
The four of us piled into the Impala and drove down the road until Molly pointed to where she believed her car was. We got out and followed Molly into the woods "It's right over there. I don't understand. I'm sure this is where it was. W-we hit that tree right there. This-this doesn't make any sense." She said as she walked down to investigate while we stayed behind, knowing she wasn't going to find anything.

"Dean, we got to get out of here. Greeley could show up at any second." Sam whispered "what are you gonna tell her?" Dean asked him "the truth?" Sam said "she's gonna take off running in the other direction." Dean replied "I know it sounds crazy, but I crashed into that tree. I don't know who could've taken it. It was totaled. Please. You have to believe me." Molly pleaded "Molly, listen, we do believe you. But that's why we want to get you out of here." Sam said "what about David?" Molly asked "something must have happened. I have to get to the cops." Molly said.

"Cops...that's a great idea. We'll take you down to the station ourselves. So, just come with us. It's the best way we can help you and your husband." Dean said "okay." Molly nodded as we headed back to the Impala.

Molly and I sat in the backseat as we made our way back to town "we're supposed to be in Lake Tahoe." Molly sighed "you and David?" Sam asked "it's our five-year anniversary." Molly mumbled "a hell of an anniversary." Dean said sarcastically "right before, we were having the dumbest fight. It was the only time we ever really argued...when we were stuck in the car." Molly said "yeah. I know how that goes." Sam laughed as Dean and I snapped him a dirty look.

"You know the last thing I said to him? I called him a jerk. Oh, god. What if that's the last thing I said to him?" Molly asked "Molly...we're gonna figure out what happened to your husband. I promise." Sam said suddenly, the radio started making noises and then played House of the Rising Sun "did you-." Dean asked "no." Sam said "I was afraid you'd say that." Dean replied "this song..." Molly whispered "what?" Dean asked her "it was playing when we crashed." Molly said as the radio crackled and then skipped to another station, where a creepy man's voice came through "she's mine. She's mine.
She's mine." The voice said.

"What is that?" Molly asked as Greeley suddenly appeared in the middle of the road in front of us while Dean floored it, heading straight for Greeley "hold on." Dean said "what are you doing?!" Molly yelled as soon as we hit Greeley, he exploded into a puff of black smoke "what the-what the hell just happened?" Molly asked, shocked "don't worry, Molly. Everything's gonna be all right." Sam said as the Impala started to shudder and slow down.

"Spoke a little too soon, Sammy. I don't think he's gonna let her leave." Dean groaned as the Impala coasted to a stop on the side of the road. He tried to start it again, but the ignition just sputtered as we all got out of the car "this can't be happening." Molly said as she looked around, completely distraught "well...trust me. It's happening." Dean said as he rounded the back of the Impala and started going through the trunk as Molly walked around back and looked into the trunk, clearly startled by the small armory we had.

"Well...okay. Thanks for helping, but I think I got it covered from here." She said as she quickly turned and started down the road "wait. Molly, Molly, wait a minute." Sam said as he followed after her "just leave me alone." Molly said "no, no, no. Please. You have to listen to me." Sam pleaded "just stay away." Molly said as she continued walking "it wasn't a coincidence that we found you, all right?" Sam asked "what are you talking about?" She asked us as Dean turned toward Sam and Molly "we weren't just cruising around when we ran into you, sister. We were already out here. Hunting." Dean said "hunting for what?" Molly asked him.

"Ghosts." Dean said as he turned back to the Impala "d-d-don't sugarcoat it for her." Sam said "you're nuts." Molly said "really? About as nuts as a vanishing guy with his guts spilling out? You know what you saw. We think his name is Jonah Greeley. He was a local farmer that died fifteen years ago on this highway."
Sam said "just...stop." Molly muttered "one night a year, on the anniversary of his death, he haunts this road. That's why we're here, Molly. To try and stop him." Sam said "now, I suppose this...ghost made my car disappear, too." Molly said.

"Crazier things have happened, huh?" Dean asked as he walked up and smacked Sam in the arm "ya know what? I'm all filled up on crazy. I'm gonna get the cops myself." Molly said "I don't mean to be harsh, but I don't think you're gonna get too far." Dean said "what is that supposed to mean?" Molly asked, now looking terrified "means that plan A was trying to get you out of here. Obviously, that didn't go over too well with, uh, Farmer Roadkill." Dean said "Molly, we're telling the truth. Greeley's not gonna let you leave this highway." Sam said calmly.

"You're-you're serious about this, aren't you?" Molly asked "deadly." Dean nodded "every year, Greeley finds someone to punish for what happened to him. Tonight, that person is you." Sam said "why me? I didn't do anything." Molly asked as she shook her head "doesn't matter. Some spirits only see what they want." Sam replied "so, you're saying this...Greeley, he took my husband? Oh, god." Molly muttered "Molly, look, we're gonna help, all right? But first, you gotta help us." Sam said "help you? How?" Molly asked him "where did Greeley start chasing you?" Sam asked her.