Chapter 170-Getting Aquatinted

Sam placed an anonymous tip to the police about the farmhouse, and then the six of us made our way to Tamara and Isaac's house. Their house was completely covered in lore and random items on shelves, hanging from the ceiling, and in jars. Bobby, Tamara, and Isaac took some time to reconnect, and then we talked about the case. A few hours later, Dean called the coroner's office to get some information on the bodies we had found.

"Honey? Where's the Palo Santo?" Isaac asked "well, where'd you leave it?" Tamara asked "I don't know, dear. That's why I'm asking." Isaac said "palo santo?" Sam asked "it's holy wood, from Peru. It's toxic to demons like holy water. Keeps the bastards nailed down while you're exorcising them." Tamara explained as she dug through a bag and pulled out a large stake, and handed it to Isaac "thank you, dear." Isaac smiled as he took the stake.

"You'd lose your head if it wasn't for me."Tamara said "so, how long you two been married?" Sam asked her "eight years this past June." Tamara smiled "the family that slays together..." Isaac smiled "right. I'm with you there. So, how'd you get started?" Sam asked as there was an awkward silence as Tamara and Isaac looked at each other with a painful expression "I, uh, ya know...I'm sorry. It's not-that's none of my business." Sam muttered.

"No, no. I....it's all right." Tamara said as Dean walked into the room, still on the phone "well, Jenny, if you look as pretty as you sound, I'd love to have an...'appletini." (..) "yeah. Call you." He said as he hung up "that was the coroner's tech." Dean said "and?" Sam asked him "get this...that whole family, cause of death? Dehydration and starvation. There's no signs of restraint, no violence, no struggle. They just sat down and never got up." Dean explained "but there was a fully stocked kitchen just yards away." Bobby said.

"Right. What is this, a demon attack?" Sam asked "if it is, it's not like anything I ever saw, and I've seen plenty." Bobby replied "well, what now? What should we do?" Dean asked "uh, we're not gonna do anything." Isaac said "what do you mean?" Sam asked as he furrowed his brow at him "you guys seem nice enough, but this ain't 'Scooby-Doo,' and we don't play well with others." Isaac said "well, I think we'd cover a lot more ground if we all worked together." Sam said.

"No offense, but we're not teaming up with the damn fools who let the devil's gate get opened in the first place." Isaac said as I furrowed my brow at him, not expecting the conversation to take the turn that it did "no offense?" Dean asked "Isaac. Like you've never made a mistake." Tamara said as she looked over at Isaac with cautioning eyes "oh yeah, yeah. Locked my keys in the car, turned my laundry pink. Never brought on the end of the world, though." Isaac listed.

"All right. That's enough." Dean said "guys, this isn't helping. Dean..." Sam said as he looked over at Dean with a warning expression "look, there are a couple hundred more demons out there now. We don't know where they are...when they'll strike. There ain't enough hunters in the world to handle something like this. You brought war down on us...on all of us." Isaac said as he raised his voice at us.

"Okay. That's quite enough testosterone for now." Tamara said as she pulled Isaac away into another room.

[......]
The next morning, there was news of a woman beating another woman to death outside of a retail store over a pair of shoes.
Bobby decided to go ahead without us to question the suspect, and we joined him later. When we got there, the store and sidewalk were lined with people watching. The police had set up caution tape around a car a little way down from the store.

The murder didn't actually happen within the store, so Sam and Dean didn't have to put on a disguise, especially since Bobby already had that covered. Dean went ahead into the store while Sam and I waited outside to see if the crowd was saying anything interesting. Once we decided that everyone was just sharing rumors, we walked into the store, where we spotted Dean comforting a beautiful blonde woman.

"What happened outside makes vou realize how fragile life really is. You got to make every second count." Dean cheesily consoled her as the woman nodded while Sam cleared his throat as Dean looked over at us and then back at the woman "excuse me a minute, would you?" Dean said "sure." The woman nodded and left "what are you doing?" I asked him "I'm comforting the bereaved. What are you doing?" Dean asked "workin'. Dead body, possible demon attack...that kind of stuff." Sam said.

"I'm sorry. It's just...I don't have much time left, and, uh...gotta make every second count." Dean said as I rolled my eyes "yeah, right. Sorry." Sam sighed "apology accepted." Dean smirked "oh please, you were just trying to pick up that girl. If you aren't going to let us help you, you can't use it against us." I said as Dean laughed and patted my shoulder "you're so sweet." He said as Bobby walked over to us, wearing a suit with his hair slicked back.

"Whoa. Looking spiffy, Bobby. What were you, a G-man?" Dean whistled "attorney for the DA's office. I just spoke to the suspect." Bobby said "yeah? So, what do you think? Is she possessed or what?" Sam asked him "don't think so. There's none of the usual signs...no blackouts, no loss of control. Totally lucid.
Just, she really wanted those shoes. Spilled a glass of holy water on her just to be sure; nothing." Bobby replied "maybe she's just some random whack job." Dean shrugged.

"If it had been an isolated incident, maybe, but first the family, now this? I believe in a lot of things. Coincidence ain't one of them. Did you kids find anything around here?" Bobby asked "no sulfur, nothing." Sam said "well, maybe something. See? I'm working." Dean said as he pointed to the security camera.

The four of us snuck into the security room, and Sam started playing back the footage while Dean leaned against the wall, daydreaming "anything interesting?" Dean asked "I don't know yet. Might just be a guy...or it might be our guy." Sam said as a man walked up to the suspect and put his hand on her shoulder. He spoke to her a little, and then she walked off as we all looked at each other, knowing that something was weird about that interaction. Sam printed out a picture of the man, and then we left.