Chapter 88-Looking Into The History

While Sam was off on his fake date with Sarah Dean and I stayed at the hotel room as he sits on the bed sharpening his knives as the door opens making me look up to see Sam walking in with papers in his hand "so, she just handed the providences over to you?" Dean asked him "provenances." Sam said "provenances?" Dean asked slowly "yes. We went back to her place. I got a copy of the papers.." Sam explained "and?" Dean asked him "and nothing. That's it. I left." Sam replied.

"You didn't have to con her or do any...special favors or anything like that?" Dean asked anxiously "Dean, would you get your mind out of the gutter, please?" Sam asked annoyed "yeah, just act like I'm not here...totally cool." I said sarcastically "ya know when this whole thing's done, we could stick around for a little bit." Dean said "why?" Sam asked him "so, you could take her out again. It's obvious you're into her. Even I could see that." Dean said "hey, I think I've got something here." Sam said squinting at the papers in his hands as Dean walked over and took the papers from Sam.

"Portrait of Isaiah Merchant's family, painted 1910.'" Dean said "now compare the names of the owners with Dad's journal." Sam said as I read off of Dad's journal "first purchased in 1912, Peter Simms. Peter Simms murdered 1912.' Same thing in 1945. Oh, same thing in 1970." I said looking up at them "then stored, until it was donated to a charity auction last month. Where the Telesca's bought it. So, what do you think, it's haunted? Or cursed?" Sam asked him "either way, it's toast." Dean said.

[......]
Heading into the local bookshop Sam made up some story about why we were interested in Isaiah Merchant and his family as the shop owner was extremely excited for some reason and pulled out every book and newspaper he had on the family "you said the Isaiah Merchant family, right?" The owner asked him "yeah, that's right." Sam nodded as the owner set down his stack of books and papers.

"I dug up every scrap of local history I could find. So, are you kid's crime buffs?" The owner said "kinda. Yeah. Why do you ask?" Dean said "well.."The owner said as he held up a newspaper article and pointed to a side article that read, Father Slaughters Family, Kills Himself "yes. Yeah, that sounds about right." Dean replied "the whole family was killed?" Sam asked him "it seems this Isaiah, he slits his kids' throats, then his wife, then himself. Now he was a barber by trade. Used a straight razor." The owner explained.

"Why'd he do it?" Sam asked "let's look. Ah...'People who knew him describe Isaiah as having a stern and harsh temperament. Controlled his family with an iron fist. Wife, uh, two sons, adopted daughter...yeah, yeah, yeah... 'There were whispers that the wife was gonna take the kids and leave.' Which of course you know in that day and age, um...so instead, old man Isaiah....well, he gave them all a shave." The owner said as he drew his hand across his throat and made a slicing noise.

"Does it say what happened to the bodies?" Sam asked him "just that they were all cremated." The owner said "anything else?" Sam asked "yeah. Actually, I found a picture of the family. It's right here...somewhere." He said flipping through all the information he brought us "right...here it is." He said holding it up. It was a picture of the painting "hey, could we get a copy of this, please?" Sam asked him "sure." The owner said.