Chapter 25-Doppelgängers

Shortly after arriving back at Zach's house we get out of the car looking around "all right, so what are we doin' here at 5:30 in the morning?" I asked while yawning "I realized something. The videotape shows the killer going in, but not coming back out." Sam said "so, he went out the back door." Dean said "right. So, there should be a trail to follow. A trail the police would never pursue." Sam replied as he looked around everywhere.

"Cause they think the killer never left. And they caught your friend Zach inside. I still don't know what we're doin' here at 5:30 in the morning." I said while yawning as I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes "blood. Somebody came this way." Sam said as he pointed at a blood-stained telephone pole "yeah, but the trail ends. I don't see anything over here." Dean replied as we look up seeing an ambulance heading down the road.

"What happened?" I asked a woman who was watching the scene unfold "he tried to kill his wife. Tied her up and beat her." She said "really?" Sam asked her "I used to see him going to work in the morning. He'd wave, say hello. He seemed like such a nice guy." She replied "I'm going to go check around back." Sam said before walking away with me following closely behind him.

[....]
"Hey, remember when I said this wasn't our kind of problem?" Dean asked us as he ran up to us "yeah?" I asked him "definitely our kind of problem." Dean replied "what'd you find out?" Sam asked him "well, I just talked to the patrolman who was first on the scene, heard this guy, Alex's story. Apparently, the dude was driving home from a business trip when his wife was attacked." Dean said "so, he was two places at once." Sam said "exactly. Then he sees himself in the house. Police think he's a nut job." Dean replied.

"Two dark doubles attacking loved ones in exactly the same way." I said "could be the same thing doin' it too." Dean said looking up at me "shapeshifter? Something that can make itself look like anyone?" Sam questioned "every culture in the world has shapeshifter lore. Ya know, legends of creatures who can transform themselves into animals or other men." Dean replied "right, skin-walkers, werewolves." I replied while nodding at them "we've got two attacks within blocks from each other. I'm guessin' we've got a shapeshifter prowlin' the neighborhood." Dean said.

"Let me ask you this...in all this shapeshifter lore, can any of them fly?" Sam asked "not that I know of." Dean said while shaking his head "we picked up a trail here. Someone ran out of the back of this building and headed off this way." Sam said pointing in the direction we had just come from "just like your friends house." I said looking up at him "yeah. And, just like at Zach's house, the trail suddenly ends. I mean whatever it is, just disappeared." Sam said "well, there's another way to go...down." Dean said as he looked at the street below our feet.