xxxii. a different method of persuasion

Start from the beginning

"That's right," Jennifer said tauntingly, not even taking the opportunity to get her breathing back to normal. "You need me. All of you."

The hospital was pretty much evacuated due to the storm, so there were hardly any cars in the lot. Stiles drove up straight to the emergency entrance and parked behind Derek, who was under the overhang.

The three of them got out and were immediately soaked by the downpour of rain. While Gracie and Scott hurried to the doors, Stiles grabbed something from the back of the Jeep and ran to catch up to him.

Scott eyed the bat in his hands. "What's that?"

"Well, you guys got claws, I got a bat!"

The three of them followed Derek, who had a tight grip on Jennifer, through the lobby of the emergency department. There were nurses scurrying around, packing up files and anything important for their patients to take with them to the hospital helping them out, and the last of patients' visitors leaving.

They were just about to turn down the hallway and head to Cora's assigned room when Melissa ran into them.

"Scott, what are you doing here?" She asked her son worriedly. "The hospital's evacuating."

"We're here for Cora."

At Scott's answer, Melissa eyed Stiles, Gracie, Derek, and Jennifer.

"What, all of you?" She paused when she saw what Stiles was holding. "Why does Stiles have my bat?"

While Stiles glanced awkwardly at the bat, Scott got his mom's attention. "Mom, just trust me on this. You need to get out of here, right now."

Melissa took a beat, realizing that something more serious than a storm was going on.

"The building is supposed to be clear in thirty minutes," she told them somberly. "We've got two ambulances that are coming back. One's ten minutes out, the other's twenty. Cora needs to be on one of those. They'll be picking up in the basement garage."

Scott nodded. "Got it."

He joined the others once again and they kept walking. They made their way down the hallway and entered the elevator to head to the third floor.

"You don't have to keep me on a leash, Derek," Jennifer spoke up once the elevator doors closed. "I'm going to help."

No one spoke.

Jennifer turned her head and glanced at Scott and Gracie, who were both giving her the evil eye, and then to Stiles, who was holding his bat threateningly while glowering at her. She rolled her eyes and faced the doors again.

The elevator dinged, the doors opened, and they walked out onto the third floor. Cora's room was the first on the right, but there was no one in there.

All there was a large spot of black blood with mistletoe that Cora must have thrown up. There were little dribbles of blood, though, that trailed out of the room and down the hallway, stopping at a set of double doors. 

They weren't able to take a step before they heard grunting. Then, out of nowhere, it seemed, Peter came flying head-first through the doorway, landing with a painful groan at their feet.

"We got a problem," he told them, lifting his head to look down the hallway where he had come from. "Big problem." 

Down the hallway, Ethan and Aiden had formed into Voltron-Wolf. They growled angrily at them and flexed their arms, showing off their combined form.

After trying to fight off the twins, they eventually made it to the morgue. They were about to leave when Stiles stopped and held up his bat, hiding near the other set of doors where the twins would come through any second.