iv. the creature in the shadows

˗ˏˋ⋆ H E A V E N L Y ⋆ˎˊ˗↳  𝒊𝒗

↳  𝒊𝒗. 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒄𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆
𝒔𝒉𝒂𝒅𝒐𝒘𝒔
𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘸𝘰𝘭𝘧, 𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘸𝘰

(𝔖𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔢 𝔖𝔥𝔦𝔣𝔱𝔢𝔡)

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

          GRACIE WAS SOUND ASLEEP IN BED. HER SOFT, DARK BROWN HAIR WAS sprawled out on the covers. She was spread across the bed as a tangled mess and buried deep under the covers with her head leaning on one side of the bed and her feet sticking out the other end.

Other than the moonlight shining through one of Gracie's bedroom windows, the only source of light were string lights lining the walls, her face glowing and showing the entire world most of the bruises had mostly faded.

The digital clock on the bedside table beside flashed its red numbers. 11:57. This was probably the earliest in days that she had gone to sleep. Every time she closed her eyes, the memories of that night consumed her. The images of her uncle attacking her and the feeling of his fangs digging into her neck was permanently etched into her mind.

This was the first night she could close her eyes and not dream of anything that reminded her of what happened. She slept peacefully until the sound of her alarm rudely woke her up.

Her eyes stayed shut as she blindly reached for her bedside table, trying to turn off her alarm clock. Falling forward as she leaned even further, the Hale girl yelped when she felt the bed slip out from under her. Gravity pulled her forward as she hit the floor with a thud.

Gasping when all the air had been kicked out of her, she wheezed as she buried her face to the floor. She was too busy gasping for air to notice the floor underneath her wasn't the wooden floorboards of her bedroom but wet asphalt.

Feeling wet droplets hit her forehead and soaking her hair, the sound of rain filled her ears as she sat up, no longer sitting in the middle of her room -- now standing in the middle of what looked like an alley.

Her chest heaved as she swallowed thickly, wondering how the hell she ended up here. It didn't make sense considering she was just in her bed a few minutes ago.

No, seconds.

"Isaac!"

Turning back at the sound of someone yelling, the Hale girl held up her one hand cover her eyes as a blinding, bright light filled her vision. She stepped forward until she was able to see a silhouette of a figure standing by a car that was parked at the end of the corner.

"Isaac!" A man's voice called out.

Wiping the rain out of her eyes as stood there completely soaked now, Gracie remained still as the man, who she was able to see clearly now, ran towards her. He had brown hair and wore glasses. He had to be in his forties. Gracie couldn't quite put her finger on it but something about him seemed familiar.