i. rite of passage

˗ˏˋ⋆ H E A V E N L Y ⋆ˎˊ˗↳  𝒊

↳  𝒊. 𝒓𝒊𝒕𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒑𝒂𝒔𝒔𝒂𝒈𝒆
𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘸𝘰𝘭𝘧, 𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘦𝘦

(𝔗𝔞𝔱𝔱𝔬𝔬)

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

FALL OF 2011 - JUNIOR YEAR

"Boy, it's a good thing you drew me a picture," the tattoo artist, who they learned was named Jimmy, said sarcastically.

It was the last night of summer, and, of course, Scott wanted to get a tattoo. Not just any tattoo, though. Scott wanted two black bands curled around his bicep. To be honest, Gracie didn't like the design very much, but it wasn't her body, so she wasn't going to say anything.

Her eyes widened as she turned another page in the tattoo book she was looking through. The design looked similar to the kanima that wreaked havoc on Beacon Hills only a few months ago.

"Ooh, what about this one?" The Hale girl poked Stiles' arm, who had been standing beside her, looking through another book of designs. She showed him the picture, grinning a little.

"Hey, Scott," he called out, catching the beta's attention as he and Gracie turned to face the chair where he was seated. "...you sure you don't want something like this?"

He showed Scott the kanima tattoo, an entertained grin lighting up his and the Hale girl's features. Scott wasn't nearly amused as his two friends were. His excited face turned into an are-you-serious look.

"What, is that a 'no?'" Stiles asked needlessly. "Yeah."

Stiles closed the tattoo book and placed it back on the shelf it was sitting on previously before turning back to Scott.

"I don't know, man, are you sure about this?" Stiles asked, clearly not on board with this. "I mean, these things are pretty permanent, you know?"

As Jimmy started getting the ink ready to go, Scott firmly told him, "I'm not changing my mind."

"Okay, but why two bands?"

Scott just shrugged. "I just like it."

"But don't you think your first tattoo should have some sort of meaning, you know, or something?" Stiles pointed out.

"Getting a tattoo means something," Gracie piped in.

Stiles scoffed. "I don't think that's––"

"––She's right," Jimmy interrupted him. Stiles crossed his arms over his chest and looked at him curiously. "Tattooing goes back thousands of years. The Tahitian word 'tatua' means 'to leave a mark.' Like a rite of passage."