xxvi. in the heat of the night

˗ˏˋ⋆ H E A V E N L Y ⋆ˎˊ˗↳  𝒙𝒙𝒗𝒊

↳ 𝒙𝒙𝒗𝒊. 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒕 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕
𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘸𝘰𝘭𝘧, 𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘸𝘰

(𝔓𝔞𝔯𝔱𝔶 𝔊𝔲𝔢𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔡 / 𝔉𝔲𝔯𝔶)

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

AT THE PARTY, STILES WAS DRUNK. SCOTT HAD BEEN SPENDING THE LAST FIVE minutes trying to sober him up.

Staring off into space, Stiles was submerged in cold water. He inhaled deeply as he was lifted out of the pool, icy water dripping from his short hair down the back of his neck. He blinked rapidly and coughed, his eyes darting from Scott, who was in front of him, to one of their classmates.

It was Danielle, who was known to be quite the character. 

"What the hell?" he spluttered. 

"How do you feel?" Danielle asked simply.

"Like I might have to revisit my policy on hitting a girl," he glared at her. 

Danielle sniffed, looking at Scott. "He's sober." 

"Yeah, thanks," Stiles rolled his eyes and got to his feet.

All around him, people were going crazy. There was some girl making out with a plant, two dudes were fighting over the last pig-in-a-blanket, and he had obviously had a hallucination about his dad because why the hell else would Noah even be at Lydia's party?  He turned to Scott. "What the hell is going on?" 

When Scott had informed him that Lydia was no longer at the party, they both split up to look for her. While Scott took the inside of the house, where more people were freaking out, Stiles looked outside. There was no sign of Lydia, but there was wolfsbane in the punch bowl.

He hurriedly met up with Scott, who hadn't seen Lydia, either. 

"Lydia put wolfsbane in the punch," Stiles informed Scott, trying not to think about how weird the situation was. "Anyone who drank it is freaking out." 

Emphasizing Stiles' statement, people started pushing unsuspecting guests into the pool. Some of them enjoyed the little swim they would be privy to. But not Matt Daehler. He didn't know how to swim.

Realization hit Stiles and Scott at the same time. Matt had been in the library when Jackson turned into the kanima, he was the one who owned the camera that had footage of Jackson as a kanima on it. He had been at the rave when Kara was killed. The kanima's master wasn't able to swim and neither could Matt.

And the icing on top of the cake, Jackson was the one who helped Matt out of the pool. Their suspicions were confirmed when the police showed up at the party and they tried to confront Matt. He was outside waiting for them, the kanima wrapped protectively around his legs.