xxix. dead inside

˗ˏˋ⋆ H E A V E N L Y ⋆ˎˊ˗↳  𝒙𝒙𝒊𝒙

↳ 𝒙𝒙𝒊𝒙. 𝒅𝒆𝒂𝒅 𝒊𝒏𝒔𝒊𝒅𝒆
𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘸𝘰𝘭𝘧, 𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘸𝘰

(𝔉𝔲𝔯𝔶)

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

"AHHH!" GRACIE CRIED OUT AS SHE FELL TO THE FLOOR, CLUTCHING HER ARM where the bullet was embedded and blood was seeping through the fabric of her shirt. She stared at the wound, trying to ignore the feelings it evoked, but they were overwhelming. The pain was intense –– far worse than anything she had ever experienced considering she had never been shot before.

Scott asked worriedly, "Grace, are you okay?"

The Hale girl glanced up at him, nodded weakly, and clutched her arm. Though, from the look on her face, he could tell she was in a great deal of pain.

"Get up!" Matt snarled at her again before she could answer Scott.

Gracie glared at him, getting to her feet and still clutching her wound. He pushed her toward Scott and she grabbed his shoulder to steady herself, inhaling deeply and wincing. She nodded at Scott, silently telling him that she was okay.

"Both of you, back to the front," Matt ordered. "Let's go!"

Back in the front room, Matt pushed Gracie and Scott past Stiles and Derek, who were both still lying on the floor. Both were still paralyzed and both were visibly furious, though the lack of sensation in their bodies left them unable to do anything about it.

"The evidence is gone," Gracie spat at Matt, repeating her earlier words. "Why don't you just leave?"

"You-you think the evidence mattered that much?" Matt scoffed, shaking his head. "No, no, I-I want the book."

"What?" Scott was confused –– so was Gracie, for that matter. "What book?" 

"The bestiary," Matt told them. "Not just a few pages, I want the entire thing." 

"That's Argent's bestiary," Gracie could not believe they were going through all of this for a glorified dictionary written in archaic Latin. "We don't have access." 

"What do you want it for, anyway?" Scott asked.

Matt glared at Gracie and said to Scott, "I need answers."

"Answers to what?"

Matt lifted his striped T-shirt, revealing his stomach covered in scales just like Jackson's. "To this."

Letting out a gasp, Gracie's jaw fell and and her eyes widened as he held up his shirt, revealing the scales that covered the right side of his torso.

"Look, you want to talk to the Argents? Go right ahead. But we don't have the answers for you so just let us go."