xiv. the crux of the matter

˗ˏˋ⋆ H E A V E N L Y ⋆ˎˊ˗↳  𝒙𝒊𝒗

↳ 𝒙𝒊𝒗.   𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒄𝒓𝒖𝒙 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆
𝒎𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒆𝒓
𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘸𝘰𝘭𝘧, 𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘦𝘦

(𝔘𝔫𝔩𝔢𝔞𝔰𝔥𝔢𝔡)

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

          GRACIE'S HEAD BOUNCED UP, ONLY GLANCING AWAY FROM HER PHONE for a second to see if Mr. Harris had turned away from the board; he hadn't.

📶 T-Mobile  LTE  11:17 AM                 94%🔋

Today 11:17 AM

Gracie
How's Cora doing?

Derek
She's still healing

Gracie
She's actually staying still?

Cora had always been an active child. When they were little, she couldn't count the amount of times Cora asked her to play tag, hide the flag, or go on runs. She had always exhausted Gracie, even though she loved running around herself.

📶 T-Mobile  LTE  11:18 AM                 94%🔋

Derek
I didn't say that.

Gracie huffed silently in amusement and slid her phone back into her book bag to turn her attention back to Harris' lecture –– of which she had already knew.

"All right," Mr. Harris finished writing on the board and turned to face the class. "...since inertia is a subject of which you all know plenty, why don't we start with momentum?"

"Isaac," Scott whispered from behind her and Isaac, who was sitting next to her. For some reason, Stiles was mysteriously missing from his seat beside him. "They're here for a reason. Give me a chance to figure it out before you do anything, okay?"

Gracie glanced at Isaac trying to listen to what Scott was telling him, but jumped when Mr. Harris got her attention.

"Gracie," she looked over at him to see that he was starting at her expectantly. "What do we know about momentum?"

"It's a product of mass and velocity," Gracie answered easily. This was her thing, after all. "The more massive something is, the faster it's going––"

"––Mr. Harris," Isaac interrupted her in order to get the teacher's attention. "Can I use the bathroom, please?"

Gracie gave him a half-irritated and half-curious look. She quickly figured it out when she saw his face, seeing the angry, desperate look in his eyes.