vii. guided

˗ˏˋ⋆ H E A V E N L Y ⋆ˎˊ˗↳  𝒗𝒊𝒊

↳  𝒗𝒊𝒊.   𝒈𝒖𝒊𝒅𝒆𝒅
𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘸𝘰𝘭𝘧, 𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘦𝘦

(ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔬𝔰 ℜ𝔦𝔰𝔦𝔫𝔤)

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

"RISK AND REWARD," COACH DECLARED, TURNING TO WALK BACK TO THE front of the classroom to pick a mug up from his desk. "Put the quarter in the mug, win the reward. Okay, watch Coach." 

He put the mug on the floor in front of his desk and then backed up five feet. Crouching down, he exhaled sharply and focused on the mug.

Then, after a few seconds of lead up, he bounced the quarter off the floor and into the mug. Gracie clapped with the rest of her classmates as Coach celebrated. 

"That's how you do it!" Coach cheered before throwing the quarter over to Danny, who was sitting in front of Scott. "Okay, Danny. Risk or reward?" 

Danny looked at the quarter in his hands. "What's the reward?" 

"You don't have to take the pop quiz tomorrow." 

"Coach, it's not a pop quiz if you tell us about it," Danny reminded him.

Coach ripped the quarter from his hands. "Danny, you know, I really expect more from you at this point. Really."

He moved onto Scott.

"McCall, risk and reward. The risk, if you don't put that quarter in the mug, you have to take the pop—the quiz—and you have to write an essay. Risk, more work. Reward, no work at all...Or choose not to play." 

Scott picked up the quarter that Coach put on his desk. "But isn't this just chance?" 

"No," Coach disagreed. "You know your abilities, your coordination, your focus, and past experience –– all factors affecting the outcome...So, what's it gonna be, McCall? More work, no work, or choose not to play?"

Scott stared at the quarter for a few seconds before firmly setting it down on his desk. 

"No play," Coach said aloud for the people who hadn't seen Scott's decision. He took the quarter back and looked around the room. "Okay, who's next? Who wants the quarter?"

Stiles rapidly drummed on his textbook, catching Coach's attention. 

"There ya go! There's a gambling man! Come on. Step up, step up!" He handed the quarter to Stiles and allowed him to head to the front of the room. "All right, Stilinski." 

Stiles took his position five feet away from the mug and bent his knees to get better aim. He was so focused on getting the quarter in the mug that he didn't even notice that the classroom door opened and his father stepped into the room.