xxi. a multitude of casualties

˗ˏˋ⋆ H E A V E N L Y ⋆ˎˊ˗↳  𝒙𝒙𝒊

↳ 𝒙𝒙𝒊.   𝒂 𝒎𝒖𝒍𝒕𝒊𝒕𝒖𝒅𝒆 𝒐𝒇
𝒄𝒂𝒔𝒖𝒂𝒍𝒕𝒊𝒆𝒔
𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘸𝘰𝘭𝘧, 𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘦𝘦

(𝔐𝔬𝔱𝔢𝔩 ℭ𝔞𝔩𝔦𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔫𝔦𝔞)

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

          BY THE TIME GRACIE GOT BACK TO HER HOTEL ROOM, ALLISON WAS OUT OF By the time Gracie got back to her hotel room, Allison was out of the shower and dressed, drying her hair with a clean towel that did not smell like smoke, as Lydia explained what she had discovered at the reception desk. 

"One hundred and ninety-eight?" Allison repeated, furrowing her eyebrows.  "Yeah, and we're talking forty years," Lydia stressed and did a quick calculation in her head. "On average that's 4.95 a year..." 

"What?" Gracie asked, looking at the two girls confused.

"All suicides?" Allison checked. 

"Mmhm," Lydia nodded, distressed.

"What suicides?" The Hale girl pressed.

"There's been 198 suicides here," Lydia told her, making Gracie's eyes bulged out of her head. "Hanging, throat-cutting, pill-popping, both-barrels-of-a-shotgun-in-the-mouth suicides. I don't know about you, but me, I––" 

Lydia abruptly stopped talking, her head cocking toward the wall on her right side. Gracie watched her curiously, wondering why she had paused. 

"Did you hear that?" 

Gracie paused and listened carefully. She didn't hear anything, other than people talking in the surrounding rooms. One look at Allison told her that she didn't hear anything, either. 

"Hear what, Lyds?" she asked, concerned. 

Lydia didn't answer. She turned her head back toward the wall, a horrified expression covering her face. She slowly stood up and as if she was in a trance, stepped onto the bed, shoes and all. She got as close to the wall as she could, maintaining her balance with a hand on the headboard, and eyed the vent at the top. 

"Lydia?" Allison called out.

Shuddering gasps started making their way out of Lydia's mouth as tears slipped from her eyes.

"Oh, my God. Oh, my God," Lydia whimpered as she continued to hear whatever it was that Gracie and Allison couldn't. 

Listening carefully, two gunshots echoed through Lydia's head, causing her to flinch back and screech slightly.