───────────── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ─────────────

"IDOMS, ANALOGIES, METAPHORS, AND SIMILES; ALL TOOLS THE WRITER uses to tell their story," Miss Blake stated as she walked around the classroom. She paused in between Gracie and Lydia's desks, glancing down at Lydia's drawing of a tree. "Lydia, I wasn't aware you had so many hidden talents."

"You and ever guy I've ever dated," Lydia smirked up at her, causing Gracie to snicker.

"Oh," Miss Blake was surprised by her reply. "um, well, that was an idiom, by the way. Idioms are something of a secret to the people who know the language or the culture..."

Gracie did not like the meaningful look that Miss Blake gave her, Stiles, Scott, and Lydia. They all knew that she knew about werewolves –– she was there when Boyd died, after all –– but they didn't need her to act like an amateur and blow the big secret by acting nervous.

"They're phrases that only make sense if you know key words," she continued. "Saying 'jump the gun' is meaningful only if you know about the starting gun in a race, or a phrase like 'seeing the whole board.'"

"Like chess," Stiles offered.

"That's right, Stiles," Miss Blake smiled down at him. "Do you play?"

"Uh, no," Stiles shook his head. "My father does."

Miss Blake smiled at him again and faced the rest of the class. "Now, when does an idiom become a cliché?"

Gracie raised her hand to answer and Miss Blake gave her the go-ahead.

"When you say the idiom too much," she reported. "It's like saying, 'it's raining cats and dogs,' Eventually it'll catch on and more people will say it. It's an overused idiom."

"Great answer, Gracie," Miss Blake grinned at her and then went on with her lesson.

Once Miss Blake was far enough away that they could whisper to each other, Scott leaned over in his seat to speak to Stiles and Gracie. "I think I can get to Ethan. I'm pretty sure I can make him talk."

Gracie scowled at the mention of one-half of the alpha twins while Stiles asked, "What do you want to do that for?"

"The druids are emissaries, right?" Scott pointed out. "What if the Darach was an emissary to the alphas?"

Gracie pressed her lips together in agreement. "You've got a point."

"Thank you," Scott grinned at her and then turned to Stiles to wait for his response. "So?"

"So, I can't believe that we've gotten to the point where a sentence like 'what if the Darach was an emissary to the alphas?' actually makes sense to me," Stiles huffed.

"Second of all, we're gonna have a huge problem getting to Ethan."

"What's that?"

"Going through Aiden," Stiles stated matter-of-factly. "Ever since he's been back at school, they're always together. How are we gonna separate them again?"

Eyebrows furrowing, Gracie tried to think of something that would distract Aiden. She didn't like the guy whatsoever, so the only thing she knew about him was that he liked to hook up with Lydia in Coach's office.

"I have an idea," she spoke up. When the boys looked at her curiously, she nodded toward Lydia, who was still concentrating on her spooky drawing of the tree.

Feeling eyes on her, Lydia looked up at them and sighed, "What now?"

Just staring at Ethan's face made Gracie want to slap the shit out of him. Normally, she would think that she'd be somewhat friends with Ethan. But with the situation they were in now, she doubted that she ever wanted to be.