xxviii. a shot in the dark

Start from the beginning

"Please do not say anything stupid," Gracie pleaded mentally as she side-eyed Stiles.

But that was exactly what he did.

"An abominable snowman," he told Matt dryly. "But, uh, it's more of a wintertime thing, you know? Seasonal."

Gracie shook her head. Stiles... 

Matt nodded at Jackson. From behind Gracie, he reached for the back of Stiles' neck and slashed his skin. When Gracie and Scott moved to stop him, the kanima was quick to push them away. Stiles fell right on top of Derek, paralyzed just like the alpha. 

"You bitch," Stiles' voice was warbled since his face was smushed against Derek's chest.

Derek just seemed very annoyed with the whole situation. "Get him off of me."

"Oh, I don't know, Derek," Matt drawled, amused. "I think you two make a pretty good pair."

Gracie furrowed her eyebrows, not seeing the same thing as Matt apparently did, and Derek just blinked flatly.

"It must kinda suck, though, to have all that power taken away from you with just a little cut to the back of the neck. I bet you're not used to feeling this helpless."

"Still got some teeth," Derek snarked back at him. "Why don't you get down here a little closer, huh? We'll see how helpless I am." 

"Yeah, bitch," Stiles grunted. 

"Matt," Gracie spoke up, keeping her voice calm. He turned to her with expectant eyes. "We deleted the evidence and you obviously have the upper hand, here. You got what you want so just let us go." 

Matt just scoffed at the Hale girl.

"You didn't think that would work, did you, Gracie?" He asked mockingly just as a vehicle pulled up to the station, the flash of headlights coming through the window and the sound of engine turning off filled their senses. Matt paused and turned to smirk at Scott, distracted. "Is that her?" 

Scott inhaled deeply, knowing that his mom had finally arrived. Gracie reached for his hand, trying to offer some kind of support.

"Do what I tell you to and I won't hurt her," Matt ordered him. "I won't even let Jackson near her." 

"Scott, don't trust him!" Stiles yelled from his place on Derek's chest.

Matt gritted his teeth and grabbed the back of Stiles' shirt, flipping him around and off of Derek's chest so his back was on the floor. He placed his dirty shoe against Stiles' throat, applying pressure.

"Does this work better for you?" Matt shouted at Scott as Stiles choked underneath him. 

"Stop," Gracie pleaded. She leaned forward to stop him, but Scott held her back, knowing that wouldn't end well. "Matt, stop!" 

Scott and Gracie watched in horror as Stiles' face was rapidly turning red, the vein in his forehead popping out as he continued to choke.

"Okay, just stop!" Scott yelled. 

"Then do what I tell you to!" 

"Okay, all right," Scott agreed; Matt continued to hold pressure. "Stop!"

Matt took his foot away from Stiles' throat. Gracie fell to her knees beside him as he gasped sharply, placing a cool hand on his red cheek to make sure he was okay.

"Get up," Matt roughly grabbed her arm and pulled her to her feet before looking over at Jackson. "Take them in there." He nodded at Scott. "You and Gracie are with me."