xvi. compelling

Mulai dari awal

"No one's immune!" Derek shouted. "I've never seen it or heard of it. It's n-it's never happened."

"What about Jackson? That's why you tested him, isn't it?" Scott asked. "Because you gave him what he wanted, didn't you? Peter said the bite either kills you or turns you. You were probably hoping that he would die. But nothing happened, right? And you have no idea why, do you?"

"No––" Derek shook his head, trying to edge a word in.

"––Well, I have a theory. Lydia's immune, and somehow she passed it on to Jackson," Scott repeated, and Derek kept on shaking his head. "You know I'm right."

"No!"

"You cannot do this!"

"Look, I can't let her live! You should have known that!"

Scott nodded. "I was hoping I would convince you, but then again...I wasn't counting on it."

Derek looked at him confused. Meanwhile, in the library, Lydia was being dragged out of the library by Stiles and Gracie with Allison and Jackson behind them. 

"If we're doing a study group, why didn't we just stay in the library?" Lydia asked Stiles, who had been holding her arm as they headed for the double doors that led into the hallway.

Stiles gaped at the strawberry blonde for a second, thinking on the spot for a believable lie.

"Because we're meeting up with somebody else," he managed to come up with as he led her towards the double doors that led out to the parking lot, trying to hurry her along.

"Hmm," Lydia hummed with a nod. "...well, why don't they just meet us in the library?"

"Oh, that would've been a great idea," Stiles said, grabbing both of her shoulder gently to keep her moving forwards. "Too late."

"Okay, hold on––" Lydia stopped walking.

Well, she tried to.

"––Lydia, shut up and walk," Jackson spat as he grabbed her arm and pushed her to start walking.

Stiles and Allison exchanged worried glances as they followed Lydia and Jackson out of the school. With Gracie waiting for them in the parking lot, they got into Stiles' Jeep with Lydia having several unanswered questions.

Stiles peeled out of the parking spot, going well out of the speed limit. As he drove them all out of the lot, Lydia, who was sitting in the backseat between Jackson and Gracie, turned to watch the school get smaller and smaller through the window.

They arrived at Scott's house in no time. Pulling up to his house, he was nowhere in sight. Jumping out of the back, Gracie followed Stiles and Lydia up the stairs and maneuvered the strawberry blonde towards the house.

"If we're studying at Scott's house, then where's Scott?" Lydia asked curiously as Stiles used the key he made to get in.

"Meeting us here, I think," he told her, opening the door as he led her inside before whispering under her breath, "...I hope."

Stiles quickly ushered everyone inside the house. As soon as Allison stepped through the threshold, Stiles slammed the door shut and started locking the deadbolt, chain, and the knob. He turned back to them and noticed the questioning look that Lydia was giving him.

"Uh, there's been a few break-ins around the neighborhood," Stiles lied.

"Oh," Lydia nodded, actually believing him.

Spotting a chair between the door and the stairs, Stiles wedged it under the door handle. The strawberry blonde gave him a bewildered look.

"And a murder," Stiles said unconvincingly. "Yeah, it was bad."