xiii. as above so below

Start from the beginning

Both looked around as they moved down the path between the pools.

"I don't know..." Gracie told him, unable to hold her head up as everything started to go numb and lost feeling in her legs. "You should call Scott."

Stiles nodded and reached for his phone. Pulling it out, it fell from his grasp and clattered to the ground. As he bent down to get it, Gracie slipped out his grasp.

"Stiles!" The Hale girl screeched. Her cries for help were soon muffled as she flew back into the pool behind him, rapidly sinking to the bottom like a rock.

Without even needing a second to think about it, Stiles dove into the pool and swam down to grab Gracie, pulling her back up to the surface.

Kicking his legs to keep him and Gracie barely above the water, Stiles looked around for the lizard with Gracie's arms wrapped around his neck from behind him –– tight enough she could just hold onto him.

"Where did it go? Do you see it?"

"No," Gracie denied after looking the best she could, unable to turn her head.

"Okay, maybe it took off," Stiles suggested.

As if on cue, the lizard creature let out another screech as it echoed through the pool house.

Gracie shared a look with Stiles. "Maybe not."

The two stayed in the water like that as the lizard eventually circled them, yet never actually going into the water. It eventually walked to the edge of the pool and placed one of its hands in the water. It hissed and pulled back.

"Wait, did you see that?" Stiles asked. "I don't think it can swim."

The realization that the lizard couldn't swim didn't make things much easier. Sure, they'd be safe in the pool from harm but they couldn't keep swimming for long without getting tired and they had no idea when Gracie's paralysis was going to wear off. They couldn't do anything until the Hale girl was better or if they somehow found a way to contact Scott.

After an hour went by, with Gracie still unable to feel her legs or anything from the neck down, Stiles was worn out from holding the Hale girl up and swimming in place for so long.

"Okay," Stiles spoke up breathlessly. "Okay, I don't think I can do this much longer."

Gracie nodded, swallowing thickly as an idea came to her. "How fast can you swim?"

"Why?" Stiles asked, and she gave him a pointed look. "Have you noticed that I'm the only thing keeping you alive? How long can you hold your breath, huh? Thirty seconds? A minute? Because that's how long you have left to live if I let you go."

"Stiles, Derek and Erica are still knocked out cold. I'm paralyzed from the neck down in eight feet of water. No one even knows we're out here. What else are we going to do?" Gracie posed. "Please...just trust me."

Biting his lip in hesitation as he considered it, he nodded, giving in. Stiles gripped her hands tightly before he pulled her away and let her go. As she sank in the water, the Stilinski boy swam over to the ledge. Standing in front of him, the lizard hissed at him. Stiles quickly grabbed his phone as the creature lunged forward, and the Stilinski swam away with his phone in his hand.  He dialed Scott's number and listened to it ring.

"Scott!" He yelled when his friend finally answered.

"I can't talk right now."

Stiles gaped at his phone as Scott hung up on him. He looked back down, seeing that Gracie had reached to the bottom of the pool –– under the water for more than thirty seconds now.