x. creature in the night

Start from the beginning

After a few minutes as she listened to silence, she slowly ducked her head out of the row, her body shaking as she tried to see if the animal (or whatever the hell it was) was still in the store. Unfortunately, what she saw had sped in the aisle a few rows down from them, making her gasp and flinch back, smacking her back against the shelf.

Letting out a heavy breath, she shook her head frantically as she heard movies start to fall to the floor as the animal moved closer towards her. Tears formed in her eyes, as she stood there, fear blossoming in her chest. Then, suddenly, she ducked, holding her hands up to cover her head as DVD boxes fell from above.

When it finally stopped and all the DVD boxes fell to the ground, Gracie poked her head out once again, but flinched back when the shelves started to fall into one another like a set of dominos. Gracie tried to jump out of the row she was hiding in, but it was too late.

Only moving an inch or two just as the shelf was starting to knock over, she was trapped when the heavy shelf fell on her back. She groaned in pain as the heavy, metal shelf dug into her back and pushed her into the carpeted floor. The shelf got heavier as something climbed on top of it and crawled over to Gracie, coming to a stop right over her back. She trembled with her face buried in the carpet, feeling the creature's breath hit the back of her neck.

Soon, the pressure disappeared when the animal retreated, running out of the store. It crashed through the front window as the shards of glass went everywhere. Then, all of a sudden, a loud, bloodcurdling scream came from outside as the sound of a car alarm went off.

Meanwhile, a few miles away in a police cruiser, Stiles quickly unwrapped his cheeseburger with one hand, digging into the diner to-go bag with another to search for his curly fries.

"Mm," his father hummed from the seat next to him as he bit into his own burger. "Did they forget my curly fries?"

"You're not supposed to eat fries, especially the curly ones," Stiles told him, reminding him of his declining health. His father rolled his eyes.

"Well, I'm carrying a lethal weapon," he said stubbornly, unbothered by the fact. "If I want the curly fries, I will have the curly fries."

"If you think getting rid of contractions in all your sentences makes your argument any more legitimate, you are wrong."

Noah Stilinski narrowed his eyes at his son, but Stiles just chuckled and goofily grasped the straw from his drink with his lips as he took a sip.

Loud static came from Noah's radio before a man's voice was heard. "Unit one, do you copy?"

Stiles excitedly jumped forward, his hand reached for the radio when Noah's hand smacked his away.

"Sorry," he mumbled when his father cleared his throat pointedly almost like it was something that happened all the time.

"Unit one, copy," his father responded into the radio.

"Got a report of a possible 187," the dispatch reported.

Stiles, who had been shoving his curly fries in his mouth, whipped his head to Noah as a single fry fell. "A murder?"

Back at the video store, Gracie was sitting in the back of ambulance with a shock blanket with Lydia and Jackson, as the three of them waited to be told they could leave.

"Let's get the forehead cleaned up," one of the paramedics said, examining the Hale girl. It after her forehead was stitched up when she heard the whoop of a siren as another police car pulled up to the scene.

"Stay here," Noah Stilinski told his son, who was staring at the window to find out whatever he could.

"Oh, no way," Stiles mumbled, when his eyes landed on the Hale girl. His gaze flickering over when he heard a familiar voice.

"Why the hell can't I just go home?" Jackson hissed at the Sheriff as he came over. "I'm fine."

"I hear ya," Stiles' father told him as he tried to calm him down. "...but the EMT says you hit your head pretty hard. They just wanna make sure you don't have a concussion."

"What part of 'I'm fine' are you having a problem grasping?" Jackson gritted through his teeth, his jaw clenching in the process. "Okay, I wanna go home."

"And I understand that."

"No, you don't understand," Jackson retorted, his temper only worsening. "...which kind of blows my mind, since it should be a pretty basic concept to grasp for a minimum-wage rent-a-cop like you! Okay, now, I wanna go home!"

"Oh, whoa, is that a dead body?"a voice called out from Sheriff Stilinski's car as Stiles popped up from the passengers side.

The paramedics from the other ambulance rolled a gurney out of the store, carrying a black body bag that they just knew the store employee was in.

Little did Gracie know, Derek's Camaro turned into the parking lot and its headlights flickering off as he turned off the engine and swung the car door open. His head popped up and he jumped from the car.

"That's my sister," he told the deputies when he walked toward the crime scene, stopped by the officers as they blocked him off.

With a nod from the Sheriff, the deputies that had been blocking his path, finally let him by. As soon as they moved out of his way, Derek found his sister as he walked towards the ambulance.

"Derek!" Gracie called out when she saw him and was pulled into a tight hug. Noah came over as Jackson and Lydia were finally given the okay to leave finally.

"Hey," he said, trying to get her attention. "I just want to ask Gracie a few questions about what happened."

Derek nodded. "Of course."

"Can we do it tomorrow?" The Hale girl asked, wheezing a little as she breathed. "I just want to go home." She glanced back at the paramedic. "I can go home, right?"

"Unfortunately not," he told her. "You hit your head pretty bad. You probably have a concussion. And I can't confirm without an x-ray, but from the bruising and the wheezing you might have a few broken ribs." He looked to Stiles' dad. "We'll have to take her to Beacon Hills Memorial."

Gracie sighed, crossing her arms as Derek hopped in the ambulance. He sat by his sister, who had been sitting on the stretcher, when the door closed shut and they finally drove off.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐑'𝐒 𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐄:So there's chapter ten

𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐑'𝐒 𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐄:
So there's chapter ten. I made some changes. In this case, Derek wasn't there with Scott on the roof, and Jackson had been knocked out by the alpha. I hoped you enjoyed it. Please vote, comment, and share.