viii. all you have left

Start from the beginning

Gracie squinted at the boy with the buzz cut. De-balled?

"Okay. Just stop with the questions, man," Scott groaned, packing up his books.

"Done. No more questions," Stiles accepted. "No more talk about the Alpha or Derek. Especially Derek, who still scares me."

When the bell rang, signaling school was finally over, Gracie headed back to her locker to get her books. She stopped in her tracks when she passed Jackson in the hallway, seeing the look of pain on his face as he rubbed the back of his neck. He looked pale as beads of sweat covered his forehead.

"Are you okay, Jackson?" She asked him. "You don't look so good. You should really go to the nurse."

"Your fucking freak-of-a-brother's here," he spat.

Gracie squinted at the lacrosse captain. "What?"

Jackson groaned in response, nodding as she pulled his hand from his neck. In his palm was a square bloody gauze.

Gracie nodded and ran off. She turned the hall, almost as if in a daze, and ran down the stairs. She must have walked around the entire school twice when she finally found her brother leaning up against a wall.

"Oh, my God," she gasped as she rushed over. He looked paler than usual with dark circles under his eyes. His eyes were bloodshot, which made his pale-green eyes stand out. Upon further examination, she could see blood dripping down his left hand and worry pooled in her stomach, wondering what the hell happened, rambling a little too quickly for her brother to comprehend when she spoke, "Der, what are you doing here? What happened? Are you okay?"

"I was shot," he managed to breathe out.

"S-shot?" Gracie stammered, her breathing quickening as she started to panic. "Like really shot?" She cringed as he weakly showed her the bullet that was lodged in his arm. The wound was bloody with black veins sprouting from it. "Oh, my God. You were shot."

"I-I think it's wolfsbane," Derek suggested. "I need help."

"What can I do?"

"Find Scott. I need his help."

Gracie nodded. "Let me guess. It was the Argents."

Derek nodded. "It was Kate. She's back in town. She's the one who shot me."

Gracie tried to stay calm when she heard that name. Kate Argent was in her early twenties when she approached Derek and manipulated him to get him to trust her before burning down the Hale house.

"Okay," Gracie hummed as she grabbed her older brother, helping him lean on her while she tried to lead him out of the school. "We just need to find Scott. Well, where Scott is, Stiles is. So if we find Stiles, we find Scott."

With him being twice her size, she slowly made her way out of the school to the parking lot. Her eyes widened when she saw Stiles walking towards his blue Jeep. She sped up, practically dragging Derek behind her, and stepped in front of Stiles' car when he pulled out of his parking spot and started to drive off.

"Oh, my God," he gasped, hitting the brakes as his tire screeched against the asphalt when they stopped abruptly. Gracie's grip slipped and her brother collapsed to the ground.

"You've gotta be fuckin' kidding me. This guy's everywhere," Stiles mumbled, turning off his car and getting out as Scott ran over.

Sliding to her knees, Gracie patted Derek's cheeks, trying to bring him back to consciousness.

"What the hell? What are you doing here?" The teen wolf crouched down beside them as Stiles did the same. They ignored the long line of car forming behind them and the honking noises that filled the air.