Costumes and Glittery Moles?

Start from the beginning

I laugh to myself as I watch Toby and Claire jump at the sound of my voice, but then realise that we're missing someone.

"Is Jim not here?" I ask, as I see no sight of the awkward dark haired boy.

"I thought he was with you?" Toby questions making me roll my eyes.

"He was, before he ran away somewhere" I sigh as I lean my head against Claire's shoulder.

"Wait, why was he with you?" Claire asks with a smirk, making me elbow her in the gut as she wheezes.

"We were looking for a last minute costume, get you're head out of the gutter you idiot" I whisper.

"What is he thinking? These things take time. You don't just win Spring Fling by throwing something together." Claire exclaims before her eyes widen at herself. "Why do I care so much about this?"

"Because it matters, Claire! This is the kind of event that can propel us through high school and send us off to college as winners!" Toby exclaims, making us shush him as people start to look at us.

"And now, Eli Pepperjack!" Coach yells.

An old stereo slid beside the microphone, Eli walking beside it as he nervously rubbed his neck dressed in gym clothes and black shades. Retro dance music begins to play as Eli dances to the beat, shocking everyone in the building.

Students began to murmur to themselves as we all watch Eli.

"Oh, my God!" A girl says.

"Uh, awkward." Another girl says.

After ending in the splits, he stood back up and called out to the audience.

"What's up righteous dudes and dudettes?" Eli yells, making me hold in a laugh.

"Huh?" A boy says.

"Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters! Let's take a blast to the past! Back to ancient times!" Eli says before doing the moonwalk."The 1980s!"

A large banner of the number 1980 was written on the screen in a funky pattern. The music stopped and just a lone clapper was heard.

"Boo! Go back to the luau guy!" Steve yells out.

"Mr. Lake? Anybody seen Mr. Lake? Well, I guess you forfeit-" Coach Lawrence's starts to say before Toby, Claire and I quickly run up and take the microphone.

"Hey, there!" Claire says awkwardly into the microphone, making me slap my forehead.

"Jim will be here" I say into the microphone.

"We're his opening act" Claire says, making my eyes widen.

I am not apart of this we're.

Toby pulled out a sock that smelled really bad, making me and Claire wave a hand in front of our nose.

"Who wants to see some magic?" Toby exclaims.

"Oh boy" I mumble with wide eyes.

"James Lake? Lake, are you here?" Coach Lawrence says into the intercom desperately as Toby attempts to do magic.