104 | time travel

TONY walked into the living room to see Pepper reading a book

TONY walked into the living room to see Pepper reading a book. "Not that it's a competition, but she loves me 3000. You were somewhere on the low 6 to 900 range." Pepper scoffed with a smirk. "What are you reading?" he asked absentmindedly.

"Oh, it's just a book on composting," she replied, already being able to tell something was wrong with him.

Tony hummed as he sat down. "What's new with composting?"

"Just—"

"I figured it out, by the way," Tony blurted.

Pepper smiled softly. "You know, just so we're talking about the same thing—"

"Time travel."

Pepper's eyes widened. "What? Wow...That's amazing, and... terrifying."

"That's right," Tony said, eyes nervously dancing to hers.

Pepper sighed. "We got really lucky. Us, Charlotte, Pietro—"

"Yeah, I know."

"—but we still lost Lyra, Wanda... A lot of people lost a lot as well."

"It could screw up what we have. I can't help everybody."

Pepper grabbed his hand. "It sorta seems like you can."

"Not if I stop. I can put a pin in it right now, and stop."

"Tony, trying to get you to stop has been one of the few failures of my life. And certainly Lyra's," Pepper said. "She knew you'd protect her in any way you could. What happened does not rest on your shoulders alone."

Tony smiled. "I sometimes feel I should put it in a locked box and drop it at the bottom of a lake... go to bed."

"But would you be able to rest?" Pepper whispered.

Tony gulped.

"Especially knowing there is a way to get her back."

He shook his head as a tear fell. "Charlotte wants me to get her mother back. It's only fair I try, right?"

"Tony, you know I'll take care of her. Go get my best friend back," Pepper said softly. "Go get our Lyra back."

The next morning, Tony wasted no time when leaving for the compound after staying up all night to make the GPS for time travel. He kissed Charlotte's forehead, holding her tightly.

"Hey, take this," she said, pulling something from her pocket. Tony looked down to see the magic stone from Asgard. he furrowed his brows. "That way when you find her, you can save her if she gets hurt." Tony took it with a smile. She held him tighter as she whispered, "Make sure Mom knows I love her, okay?"

"Will do, munchkin," Tony whispered back as he kissed Pepper's cheek. "I owe you a lot."

"I'll add it to the list," Pepper said with a smirk, shoving him out of the door. "Go get her."