01 | happy hogan

"CAN you please tell Mr

"CAN you please tell Mr. Hammer that I will be leaving early today," Lyra spoke softly to her assistant. The young boy nodded with a smirk, eyes trailing over her exposed skin in her shirt. "If he asks why, tell him I'll get back to him."

"Yes, Miss Redfield. Anything else?"

"That will be all," she said stiffly, walking into her office to collect her belongings. Putting files into her briefcase, she sighed at the picture of her father, mother, Tony, and herself that rested on her desk in a beautiful frame. She gulped, shoving it down as her emotions got the best of her. She did not want to see him, better yet, she did not want to spend an evening with him.

It had been years.

She heard a buzz on her intercom. "Why are you leaving?" Justin Hammer's voice was heard in her office.

"Good for nothing secretary," she grumbled before calling out, "Dying father. I'd like an evening with him please... without your interruptions."

"You'll make up the hours," he said with a stammer. He was always afraid of her because she knew Tony Stark. She smirked.

"I'll do what I need to do to take care of my father, Justin. Thank you," she sneered, turning off her intercom.

Once she had her things together, she began to use her phone to call her father. Before she could, she saw her phone glitch a bit. She narrowed her eyes as a voice called out.

"Miss Redfield, Mr. Hogan is waiting to take you home," Jarvis said softly.

"Why are you in my phone, Jarvis?" she said stiffly.

"Mr. Stark thought it best that Mr. Hogan bring you home due to the increase in the weather," Jarvis said as she noticed the horrible rain that still was there. It had been raining off and on since the day prior. Though she had flown from Malibu to New York, it seemed the weather followed her. She hated it.

Lyra frowned. "Tell Mr. Stark that he has no business calling rides for me."

"Shall I send away Mr. Hogan?"

"No. He drove all this way," she said softly, feeling horrible. "Thanks, J."

Her phone went back to normal as Jarvis disappeared. When she made it to the lobby, she saw Justin Hammer talking to Happy.

She saw anger on his face as Happy looked neutral as he held an umbrella.

"I won't ask again before I call security. Why are you here? Is Stark here?"

"He's here for me, Mr. Hammer. Please refrain from spitting on his face," Lyra called with a scowl. Her face softened at Happy's face. "Hey, Happy."

"Ready, Miss Redfield?"

"Lyra, please," she corrected. She saw Justin seething. "I'll see you in a few days, Mr. Hammer. Send any work to my email, and I'll get it done."

Happy opened an umbrella for Lyra as they walked to the large car. Happy opened the door for her as she slipped in. He ran around to get in the driver side.

The weather grew worse as he began to drive, and she saw the clouds darkening.

"Tell me how you managed to get all the way to New York from Malibu on Stark's command," Lyra deadpanned, "simply for me? I don't buy it."

Happy smiled. "You flew all the way to Malibu for a ten minute conversation with Tony."

"On behalf of my dying father. What is he trying to accomplish here?"

"He's trying to make it up to you."

"He's about four years too late, Happy."

"He knows that."

"And where is he, exactly? Probably in Las Vegas... or maybe France... or hell, he may be in Washington? Who knows where the man is?" she grumbled.

Happy grinned. "He is finishing a meeting with Miss Potts at Stark Industry HQ in California. He has a plane scheduled to get him here at four. I will be picking him up from the airport and dropping him at yours."

"Hmm," she hummed as she watched the rain fall. "We'll see."

"Have more faith in him."

"Would you? After what he put me through?"

Happy stayed silent.

When he dropped her off, Lyra wasted no time in going inside to check on her father. She found him sitting on the couch with a cough. He was watching television, eyes almost closed from the swelling from crying. She sighed, immediately beginning to pick up the house a bit after kissing his head.

"You saw him?" her father's voice croaked. "Tony?"

"He'll be here tonight."

Her father smiled. "Good man, he is. I know you and him did not work out, but I know you miss him."

"It doesn't matter if I do. He's never going to be the man you envision."

"Hmm, have faith."

She rolled her eyes at his words that echoed Happy's. After cleaning, she cooked a large meal. She cooked Tony's favorites per her father's request. After it was four, she wondered if Tony had missed his flight. Getting her father up and dressed after a shower took longer than normal. When he finished dressing, she helped him sit at the table while she dressed.

Her phone lit up, the familiar ringing reflecting against the walls.

Walking over to it, she saw Tony's name.

"Calling to tell me you're late?" she answered scornfully.

"Calling to ask what dessert Happy should grab," he shot back, annoyance in his tone. "I'm down the road at the shopping center."

She gulped, feeling her skin begin to twitch in anticipation. She missed him. God, she did, but she could not go back into that wormhole.

"He'll eat anything, Mr. Stark—"

"For fucks sake, call me Tony, Lyra. Fuck, call me Anthony for all I care. We're not that formal. We never were," he argued angrily.

"Just get over here. He's waiting for you," she whispered.

He sighed before hanging up.

She slipped on a pair of heels as she walked into the kitchen. Her father grinned at her. "Is he here?"

"Right down the road, Papa. He's here. Just for you."