20 | tony's request

TONY stood with his arms crossed next to DUM-E as he tried to look intimidating

TONY stood with his arms crossed next to DUM-E as he tried to look intimidating. She let a small smile grant her lips as she watched his eyebrow quirk unimpressed with the conversation he had overheard. Lyra simply walked forward and placed her small hands onto his chest with the grin widening.

"I thought I asked you to see him out?" Tony asked stiffly, grabbing her hands to hold them in his own.

"I thought I would, too, but then, he made me see how much I have yet to do in my life. I do not want to waste any more years—"

"Waste? Baby, you can work in my industry, keep me safe while I work, give me new ideas—" she placed her lips on the corner of his mouth, almost landing where Tony desperately wanted them to land. "—this is not fair."

Lyra smiled as she backed away when Tony's hands found her waist instead. "Listen, Tone. You don't have to do this Avengers shit, okay? But I want to give the agent thing a go. He said that I would be good for them... and, of course, I'm worried about what this job will entail, but I want to do something for me."

Tony groaned, letting his head fall into her neck. He placed a small kiss where he knew would get the best reaction. He felt her squirm in her arms, and he smirked. "What does this mean for us? You'll be gone half the time."

"No," Lyra said, placing her hands on his cheeks, smashing them together to have him look at her properly. "I'll make it a deal with Fury. Unless something dramatic happens, I want to be able to come home to you as much as possible. If anything, I'll try to get work that can be brought home."

Tony smiled. "You said home."

"Habit," Lyra whispered.

"Are we going to try this again?" Tony asked, gesturing with one hand between the two of them. "I need to know before my brain explodes."

"What did you say that night?" Lyra asked with a smirk.

Tony thought for a moment before his eyes became brighter. "It has always been only you."

"Then, if you mean it, we'll try this again... but Tony, I want to take it slow. It's hard to think you'll just quit being the man you were with those women—"

His lips gently placed themselves on hers. It had been over four years since she last tasted Tony Stark on her lips, and she felt complete bliss take over her as her eyes shut unconsciously. She felt his hands tighten around her waist as he tried to bring her impossibly closer. She heard him moan in delight when she ran her hands over his back with her fingernails scraping in the way he loved. She, soon, pushed the gentle kiss away as he tried to make it firey... he was breathing heavily as she stared at him with swollen lips.

"Take it slow," she repeated softly to him.

Tony nodded like a lost puppy as he let her detangle from his arms. She looked at DUM-E, who was still staring at her before letting out a laugh.

"I guess I was hopeless the moment I agreed to come live with you again," Lyra said with a smirk.

Tony shrugged. "I'm just irresistible."

She swatted his chest before glancing at the card in her hand. "What if I'm no good?" she asked softly. "I'm not like you and Agent Coulson... hell, I was scared out of my wits that night with Stane."

"So was I," Tony admitted, "but being a hero or an agent doesn't mean you can't be scared. I think Fury and my father were right about one thing."

"What's that?"

"You're perfect in everything you do, and I think you'll be the best agent S.H.I.E.L.D. has seen in years," Tony said before kissing her cheek. "Now, either come get your hands dirty or get out. I have suits to make."

Lyra smiled fondly as he turned to call commands to his robots. She tied her hair back as she slipped off her heels, ready to follow the man to the ends of the Earth because Pepper was right; she had never stopped loving the almighty Tony Stark. She just did not know that Tony had not stopped loving her either.

She did not call Nick Fury's number for the next few days. As Tony recovered from Obadiah's attacks and the media taking him as Iron Man, Lyra helped nurse him back to health along with working in his lab. She knew Tony was waiting for her to call Fury since he was beginning to get on board with the whole agent thing. He thought it would be a good distraction while he had to re-think his entire company with Pepper. He also was organizing a Stark Expo, the first in a while, so he did not want to make Lyra do his work for him. She was right; Lyra needed to become her own person with her own job. Tony fully supported it... but he would have his own chat with Fury about keeping his girl safe.

Two weeks after the meeting with Fury, she was sitting in the kitchen with Tony. They were eating pizza since Lyra did not feel like cooking, and quite frankly, Tony would burn the kitchen down. He saw her deep in thought, so he picked up her phone and the number, dialing it and placing it in her hand.

"You're ready," Tony whispered with a kiss on her cheek before going to grab champagne.

"Hello?" a voice answered on the other line. Tony gestured for her to say something.

"H-Hey, this is Lyra Redfield. Mr. Fury gave me this number when I was ready to talk about the job offer," she stammered causing Tony to make fun of her with faces. She threw a water bottle at him, which he ducked, complaining about holding glasses that she could have broke.

The man hesitated. "Right, yeah. Wasn't sure if you'd ever call. My name is Clint Barton. I'll let Fury know and schedule you a flight to Washington for tomorrow, Miss Redfield. You'll receive an email with the details."

"Sounds good," she said with a gulp.

She could practically hear his smile as he replied, "You're in for a treat, Miss Redfield."