14 | the dance

LYRA watched his body disappear in the air in disbelief a few nights later

LYRA watched his body disappear in the air in disbelief a few nights later. Once he had the suit on, she was in shock at how well he was able to create it. Jarvis had said he was not ready for a test flight, but she knew Tony was prepared for anything. Sitting on the couch, she waited for him to return.

She did not, however, expect him to fall through the ceiling while landing right in front of her.

She screamed in fear before laughing as the helmet flipped up to show his face in pain.

"Successful?"

"Few twigs to break," Tony said with a grunt following. When DUM-E began to use the fire extinguisher on him, thus getting it on Lyra, she let the loud laughter leave her lips. "Ass," he muttered.

Lyra stood to find him an icepack as he groaned once instructing Jarvis to let him out of the suit. He was sitting on the couch when Lyra brought the ice pack for his head. She smiled tightly. "I think this is brilliant, Tone."

Tony smiled at her. "I see this to be the best line of defense. A threat really, but I want it controlled by me."

"It should be," Lyra said before glancing at the time. "I'll see you later." She kissed his cheek without thinking before hurrying out of the lab to get ready for the Firefighters' Family Fundraiser that Pepper had invited her to. She saw Happy in the living room, and she jumped. "Shit. Give me like ten minutes."

"Counting!" Happy called back with a laugh, eyes wandering to the hole where the piano used to be.

Lyra slipped on the dress Pepper had bought her using Tony's credit card—saying it was a birthday gift from him since he was in Afghanistan for her birthday. It was beautiful, backless the way Tony liked it. She smiled as she ran a brush through her hair after taking out a braid she wore. It was wavy. She applied lipstick, but she did not even attempt eyeliner as she was in a rush.

Slipping heels on, she caught Happy's arm as they walked out of the house. "Does Tony know about this?" she asked as Happy drove off.

Happy shrugged. "Would he go if he did? I think Pepper kept it off his schedule since he's been preoccupied."

Lyra bit her lip in fear he would be mad at her for not telling him. Once they made it, she grimaced slightly at the red carpet of paparazzi that snapped photos of her. She smiled politely, ignoring questions about her relationship with Tony.

She jumped happily when her arm was taken by Rhodey. "Hey," she whispered breathlessly as he helped her get away from the cameras.

"Hey, Ly. Pepper is over there," Rhodey said with a gentle smile. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks, Rhodey," she said, squeezing his arm once before hurrying over to Pepper while grabbing a glass of champagne on her way. "Pepper!"

Pepper grinned, pulling her in for a hug. "I thought you'd never show."

"Sorry. Tony had me helping," Lyra said quickly, greeting the women and men around her. They were very interested in her, and Pepper told her that she had bragged on her intelligence. Lyra blushed slightly as she finished her second cup of champagne. "Trust me, Tony is better than me by miles when it comes to that stuff. I just help, really."

"She's being modest," Pepper said. "I've seen her work with Hammer Industries. She's a genius." It was another hour of talking to different groups of people, and Lyra did not realize Pepper's game until the fourth group. She was trying to make Lyra known—trying to make sure Lyra had connections and, hopefully, get her a job within Stark Industries in her own department. She wanted the credit to come from herself, not from Tony. Lyra felt warmth flood her chest as Pepper winked at the woman on their way to the fifth group.

"You look fantastic! I didn't recognize you," Tony appeared with his eyes on Lyra before glancing at Pepper.

"What are you doing here?" Pepper asked suspiciously.

"Just avoiding government agents," Tony said, motioning to the man by the bar. Pepper smiled politely.

Pepper looked around. "Are you by yourself?"

Tony looped his arm around Lyra's waist. "Not anymore. Could you deal with Mr. Coulson over there while I have a talk with my date?" Pepper nodded, taking Lyra's glass.

"Have fun," Peper said softly to Lyra with a wink before walking off.

"Where'd you get that dress?" Tony asked as he moved the pair to dance.

Lyra smirked, wrapping her arms around his body. "Oh, it was a birthday present."

Tony nodded, his eyes narrowing. "That's great."

"From you, actually," Lyra stated. "While you were vacationing in Afghanistan."

Tony snorted, turning Lyra in his arms to sway some
more before turning her back, watching her gasp in surprise. "Well, I got great taste."

"Yes," Lyra responded with a smirk until she noticed the stares from the people she had spoken to. She frowned, turning her attention back to Tony.

Tony noticed her gaze. "Am I making you uncomfortable?"

"No. No. I always have random people glaring at me around the room as I dance with my old lover, now coworker, in a dress with no back."

Tony laughed. "You look great, Lyra. Don't worry about them."

She noticed Pepper smirking from across the hall. "Oh, God."

"But I could tell them our breakup story to get them hating me if that would take the edge off," Tony offered with a timid smile.

"I actually don't think your fans will believe it. I couldn't disappear, though. I've grown used to you again... hell, you wouldn't be able to tie your shoes without me around."

"I'd make it a week. Sure. Two if Pepper helped," he said cheekily.

"Really?" she deadpanned.

Tony shrugged. "Really," he said as he tightened his hold on her. "I've grown used to you again as well. How about a little air?"

Lyra nodded. "Yes, I need some air. That was totally weird," she said breathlessly. "It felt normal."

Tony nodded. "Totally harmless," he said as he led her to the balcony.

"It was totally not harmless, by the way."

"What do you mean?"

Lyra sighed. "You don't understand because you're you. And everybody knows exactly who you are and how you are with girls and all of that, which is completely fine. But, you know, then me, you're my old love, and I'm dancing with you. It makes me look pathetic."

Tony frowned, hand reaching to caress her face. "I don't think it was taken that way."

"Because it makes me look like the one who's trying too hard, and you—you can have anyone you want."

"I just think you're overstating it. I only want you." Tony leaned in, hand holding her cheek. "Only you." His lips almost met hers, but she backed off.

Lyra shook her head. "I would like a drink, Tone."

"Got it, okay."

"I would like a vodka martini, please."

Tony smirked as he began to walk inside. He called, "Okay."

Lyra leaned on the balcony. "Very dry with olives, a lot of olives. Like, at least three olives," she yelled back as she thought about how much she enjoyed his hands on her again.