36 | medal of honor

A few days later, Lyra held Tony's hand as the pair walked into S

A few days later, Lyra held Tony's hand as the pair walked into S.H.I.E.L.D. in Washington D.C. Tony grinned softly Lyra's way as she smiled and waved at some of her coworkers on the way. She seemed in her element as she wore her dark suit and hair pulled up in a sexy way. He caught her badge as she slid a card to get the elevator to ding. She clicked floor 76: Briefing Room.

"Clearance Denied."

"Override, Lyra Redfield," Lyra said boredly. The elevator dinged and began to move.

Tony smirked. "You just get more attractive everytime I see you, you know?"

Lyra laughed as he pushed her against the window to kiss her. "Tony, it's glass."

"Let them watch," he said with a smirk as he kissed her neck. "Got an office we can sneak off to?"

Lyra pushed his face back as the elevator dinged again on a floor they were not going to. "Yes, but you're not allowed to sneak off until after this meeting," she said just as someone else joined the elevator for the ride. When they got to their floor, Lyra waved awkwardly at the woman before pulling Tony by the hand to the room.

She told him to sit next to her at the table with the S.H.I.E.L.D. logo, and he tapped his fingers against it as a lonely file sat. His hand reached for it.

AVENGERS INITIATIVE PREMLIMIARY REPORT

Nick Fury entered the room and placed a hand on the file to push it aside. "I don't think I want you looking at that. I'm not sure it pertains to you anymore. Now this on the other hand," he said as he handed Tony another file, "is Agent Romanoff's assessment of you. Read it."

"'Personality overview. Mr Stark displays compulsive behaviour.' In my own defence, that was last week. 'Prone to self-destructive tendencies.' I was dying. I mean, please. Aren't we all? 'Textbook narcissism?' Agreed. Okay, here it is. 'Recruitment assessment for Avenger Initiative. Iron Man? Yes.' I gotta think about it," Tony said.

Fury sighed. "Read on."

"'Tony Stark not... Not recommended?' That doesn't make any sense. How can you approve me but not approve me? I got a new ticker. I'm trying to do right by Pepper and Lyra. I'm in a stable-ish relationship. Right?" he asked looking at Lyra. She smiled slightly. Fury walked around and rest against the table by Tony's chair.

"Which leads us to believe at this juncture we'd only like to use you as a consultant," Fury stated. "As for Agent Redfield, Romanoff and Barton both gave their own reviews on you giving you the all clear for the initiative." Tony stood to offer his hand. Fury and Tony shake hands as Lyra stood as well.

Tony clasped his other hand on top of Fury's. "You can't afford me." He went to leave, but turned around again. "Then again, I will waive my customary retainer in exchange for a small favour. Rhodey, Lyra, and I are being honoured in Washington and we need a presenter."

Fury smirked at Lyra. "I'll see what I can do. Agent Redfield? As we worry over this problem in New Mexico, take a break. I'll have Hill send you some files and work, but you need to make sure Mr. Stark's on track and won't be needing our assistance anytime soon."

"Hey!"

"Yes, sir," Lyra stated with a smirk. "Tell Barton to let me know when he gets back." Fury nodded.

"Why?" Tony asked as he followed Lyra out of the room. "What do you have to do with Barton?"

Lyra laughed as they entered the elevator. This time, when the doors shut, Lyra attached her lips to Tony's with a loud laugh in between the kisses. Tony gripped her tightly as they molded into one another. "Heard that?" she breathed. "I'll be home for a while."

"Thank God," he murmured before kissing her again.

The next day, Lyra stood in a pretty dress that had Tony making comments to Rhodey in Washington as they stood on a stage in front of many people.

Senator Stern stood at the microphone with a half-grimace and half-smile on his face as he spoke. Tony held Lyra's hand tightly.

"It is my honour to be here today to present these distinguished awards to Lieutenant Colonel James Rhodes, Miss Lyra Redfield, and Mr. Tony Stark, who is, of course, a national treasure," Stern spoke.

Stern went to Rhodey first. "Thank you Lieutenant Colonel, for such and exceptionally distinguished performance. You deserve this."

Rhodey smiled as Stern placed the pin. "Thank you sir."

"Mr Stark. Thank you for such as exceptionally distinguished performance. You deserve this," Stern says as he stuck the pin hard causing Tony to wince in pain. "Oh, sorry. Funny how annoying a little prick can be, isn't it?" He laughed as he moved to Lyra. She eyed him warily.

"Ah, yes. The new Iron Princess... Miss Redfield. Thank you for stepping up and helping Colonel Rhodes and Mr. Stark with such a trying task. You deserve this," she held her breath as he pinned the medal gently as Tony was giving him a side-glare. "Let's get a photo."

Tony grinned brightly as people cheered for him, Rhodey, and his girl. As they walked down the steps to shake people's hands, he saw her deep in thought. He pinched her side.

"You okay?"

"Do you want a cheeseburger?" she asked seriously.

Tony smirked, letting out a breathy laugh. "Sure, honey. You want cheeseburgers? We get cheeseburgers. Happy! Off to cheeseburgers!"