06 | how to not dinner date

LYRA grinned as the almighty Tony Stark drove at horrid speeds that she somehow missed

LYRA grinned as the almighty Tony Stark drove at horrid speeds that she somehow missed. He wore the same shit-eating grin as he drove, eyes flickering to Lyra as her fingers tapped nervously on her thigh. He was inclined to grab her hand as he was used to, but he remembered her feelings toward him were hardly romantic anymore.

When they arrived at The Cradle, he handed the valet the keys with a scoff. "Not a scratch, Tuxedo," he said as he offered Lyra his arm.

People began to notice the man. Women began to whisper and gush at his smirk and winks he would send. People began taking pictures, wondering who the hell was the lucky girl on his arm.

"This was a bad idea," Lyra said with a firm nod. "Yup. Regret is clear."

Tony snorted. "Smile and wave, Ly." When they made it in the restaurant, Lyra could hardly breathe without thinking she was going to crash to the ground under all the heavy stares she was receiving.

Her unoccupied hand went to her bracelet as she messed with it. She gulped when the hostess batted her eyelashes at Tony.

"Reservation under Stark for two," Tony said with the smirk he loved to wear.

"Two?" the hostess asked before her eyes met the woman on his arm. "Right this way... Mr. Stark."

Tony tightened his hold on Lyra when he saw the faraway look in her eyes. Smiling when she glanced his way questionably, he asked the hostess to bring out a bottle of wine and some water to start—knowing this was Lyra's favorite part about dinner.

The table they sat at was on the third floor near a large window. The floor was practically empty, on purpose, of course. Tony reeled in his love for the media, knowing Lyra did not share the love.

After the waiter stammered over his words, Tony glanced at Lyra with a quirked eye before ordering for the two without even asking what Lyra wanted. The waiter took their menus and ran from the table as Lyra scowled at Tony.

"What?" he asked, taking a sip from his glass.

"What if I did not want that?"

He scoffed. "That's always your order when we go to fancy places."

"That was four years ago, Tony. I've changed," Lyra said indignantly.

Tony rolled his eyes. "Yes, I'm well aware. Ever think I have as well?"

Lyra let out a mocking laugh before taking her own sip of wine. "No, you haven't." She leaned forward, feeling a fight brewing because she wanted answers. "Do you even remember the names of the two girls you fucked that night?"

Tony froze before his eyes were cast down.

"Was that the only cheating that happened, or did I just get lucky to catch the show?" she felt her ears grow hot. "You know, I thought I was doing good for myself by coming back. I thought my dad was right... I needed to get out of New York for a while. I just don't think I made the right choice. Despite what my dad said, you don't have to humor his words and take care of me. I'm fully capable of taking care of myself."

Tony laughed, nodding. "Oh, I know you are. Do you think I invited you into my home because of what your dying father said? Fuck, Ly, I've been itching for a reason to bring you back in my life. You ignored every call!"

"Why would I answer you!?"

"Do you want to know the truth, Lyra? Do you want to know exactly why those two girls were in my bed?"

"Enlighten me." She was dying for closure.

Tony smiled tightly when the waiter brought their appetizer salads. Tony stabbed the fork into a piece of lettuce before letting the metal clank against the glass bowl.

"Jeremy Williams," Tony snarled out.

Lyra, too, dropped her fork in surprise at the name. Her blue eyes glanced at him in shock.

"Excuse me?" Jeremy was her assistant when she worked for a branch of Stark Industries.

Tony's nostrils flared. "The little bastard was always trying to get into your pants, and he never failed to remind me how good you were—also giving me the rundown on how horrible I was. He said I never deserved you, and fuck, I knew that." Her eyes softened. "I called you. You were late for dinner, and I thought something had happened. Your phone was dead. I called your office, the douche picked up.

"He refused to give me a proper answer. He started to say how you were with him. You would choose him. I was younger, Ly, I was blinded by jealousy and anger, and then, he said he kissed you. I lost it. You kissed back, he said. My coping mechanism was horrible, I'll agree, but I wanted to hurt you," he said, pausing to allow his eyes to roam his face. "You left town. A week later, the kid was in the hospital dying of stage four pancreatic cancer. He called me to apologize. He said he kissed you, but you shoved him off. I tried to call you. After a few months, I gave up. I regret giving up."

Lyra gulped, feeling tears spring in her eyes as they finished their salads in awkward silence. The waiter brought their entree, and Lyra felt her throat constrict on all of the lost time due to the foolish kid. And he was dead? She did not know what to think.

"I pushed him off," Lyra said firmly. "You acted out of rage and jealousy."

"Yes, I've established that."

"But it was his fault?"

"I was still young and naive. He was right. I would've screwed up anyway... I never did deserve you. To answer your question: I never cheated on you before that, contrary to your belief," Tony snapped.

Lyra shook her head. "This wasn't what I wanted. I wanted to hate you."

Tony rolled his eyes. "That makes me feel swell."

Lyra glared at him. "Why didn't you fucking tell me this years ago!? I spent four years wondering what was wrong with me!? Do you know how much I went through because of you!"

Tony stared at her before watching her eyes fill with tears.

"I mean, fuck, Tony! You could've found a way if you really wanted to!"

"I know."

"That was it, wasn't it? You didn't want to," she snarled.

She stood when he did not answer.

She began to leave when he grabbed her arm.

"I–I don't know what to do or say to make this right," Tony snapped. "Do you know what I went through these past four years? Hearing the slimy scumbag's words that I'd never be good enough for you!"

Lyra shook her head. "I need to go. This is too much."

She fished out a couple of bills from her purse and threw it on the table. Walking from the restaurant, she pulled her phone to her ear. "Happy?"

"Miss Redfield?" She heard shuffling, but her tears would not stop. She felt awful for bothering him so late.

"I'm sorry. Can you please come get me?" Her voice sounded pathetic.

"I'm on my way," he replied without hesitation.