54 | the cliff

AS Happy Hogan was sent to the hospital after a deathly explosion in China Town, Lyra was even more on edge because of the display Tony made as he left the hospital

AS Happy Hogan was sent to the hospital after a deathly explosion in China Town, Lyra was even more on edge because of the display Tony made as he left the hospital. Lyra was pacing now, Tony's words ringing in her ear as he told the Mandarin his home address. He clearly was not thinking of the consequences of his words.

"Are you packed?" Pepper's voice asked frantically. "How much longer before you leave. This isn't good, Lyra."

"You think I don't know that!?" Lyra snapped as the door bell rang. She rolled her eyes, glancing at the ceiling. "What next? Hey, Pep, I'll call you on the road."

"Be careful!" Pepper screamed as Lyra hanged up the phone. Lyra zipped up the two bags filled with Tony's and Lyra's things before placing her shoes on. Walking out of the bedroom, she kept a brisk pace as her nerves were never ending.

"Okay, look, I need to be alone with you. Someplace not here, it's urgent," a woman's voice spoke to Tony down below. Lyra furrowed her brows as she threw the two bags over the railing in hopes of hitting one of them.

"Normally, I'd go for that sort of thing, but now I'm in a committed relationship," Tony eyed the bags. "It's...with her."

"Tony, is somebody there?" Lyra called knowingly as she heard a suit open up. Grumbling under her breath, she began to walk downstairs.

Tony scratched his neck. "Yeah, it's Maya Hansen. Old botanist pal that I used to know, barely," he spoke lower, "Please don't tell me that there is a twelve year-old kid waiting in the car that I've never met."

"He's thirteen. And no, I need your help," the woman replied with a smirk.

Tony looked confused as Lyra made it to them. "What...what for? Why now?"

"Because I read the papers, and, frankly, I don't think you'll last the week."

"I'll be fine."

Lyra spoke firmly with. clipped tone as she stared at Tony, "I'm sorry. With Happy in the hospital, I didn't know we were expecting guests."

"We weren't," Tony said quickly.

"No, I–" Maya started.

"And old girlfriends!" Lyra exclaimed with a look to Tony.

"She's not really."

"No, not really. It–it was just one night."

"Yep," Tony agreed.

Lyra nodded. "That's how you did it, isn't it? Yep."

"It was a great night," Tony tried.

"Well, you know–"

"Yeah."

"–You have saved yourself a world of pain and craziness," she said with a mock smile, thinking of the fact that the Mandarin could be on his way right now.