02 | take care

WHEN the doorbell rang, her father almost jumped up to get it

WHEN the doorbell rang, her father almost jumped up to get it. Lyra gave him a look to sit down as she stood from her spot at the table. She saw all of the food, fixing a utensil that was out of place. She wanted it to be perfect. She was sure he had eaten golden pizza before, but she hoped she made him happy. Even though he did not deserve it.

She placed her hand on the doornob to open it up, and she heard talking outside. When she opened it, she saw Happy and Tony arguing over something until Happy smacked Tony's arm and pointed to her.

Lyra watched as Happy held out a pie and Tony held out flowers: lilies, her favorite. He tore off his sunglasses that never seemed to leave his face when he was out and about, tucking them into his shirt pocket.

"These are for you," Tony said with an easygoing smile.

Lyra eyed him oddly as she took them from his hand. "Thanks," she whispered.

"Happy won't stay if you don't want him to. He just had to make sure I got her in one piece," Tony said quickly when he saw her eyes flutter to Happy once.

Lyra shook her head. "No. I made enough. Come in," she said softly, opening the door all of the way. "Papa, Happy and Tony are here."

"Tony!" the man cried from the kitchen.

Tony ran quickly to him before he could stand. "Owen, my favorite man. Lookin' as scruffy as ever. How are you feeling?"

"Better now that my son is here! Lyra! Get out my prized wine," he said joyfully. He shook Happy's hand. "Mr. Hogan, good to see you!"

"You, too, Mr. Redfield."

Lyra walked to the cabinet to get the wine. She bent over, searching for it and glasses. When she turned, she caught Tony staring at her before he looked back to her father with a smirk on his lips. Once she handed Tony the wine and the glasses, she went to place the flowers in water. Damn Tony with his damn flowers to make me feel damn special when he'll just do it for another damn woman tomorrow.

Lyra dished out the food as they sat. Her father and Tony spoke about everything and anything as Happy added his own thoughts here and there. She would say something every once and a while, but she mostly just drank her wine slowly as she took in the sight before her. She could see pure happiness in her father's eyes. She was glad Tony could do one thing right. Her father thought he was a diamond in this cruel world.

Her father glanced at Lyra. "And my girl. She works for that awful man, but she is limited on what he allows her to do. He's a pussy, you see," her father laughed, "because he knows she could take over the company with a snap if she wanted."

Tony grinned. "I don't doubt it. Where is it that she works?"

"Hammer Industries," she responded softly.

"With that pinhead?" Tony exclaimed with narrowed eyes. "Why work for him?"

"Because he was the only option," she muttered.

"Not true. I—"

"You know why I avoided your company, Stark. Let's not get into that," she said with a tight smile before glancing at her empty cup. "I need more."

Her father and Tony spoke all night, even when her father began to feel lightheaded. Even when they brought him to his bed to lie down. Even when Tony held one of his hands and Lyra held the other.

Tony noticed Lyra begin to cry, and it did not occur to him why.

She smiled softly. "You're ready, Papa?" she whispered softly as her father's eyes began to close. "Mama is waiting?"

"Your mother is so excited," he whispered back. His eyes opened a bit. "Tony? Look after Lyra. You screwed up... fix it. She's going to need you."

"Papa," she warned.

"I love you both," he whispered softly.

"Owen?" Tony began to freak out as the thought finally reached his brain of what the hell was happening. "Owen!" he yelled as the man's eyes closed.

"He waited for you," Lyra said with a watery smile.

Tony felt his heart clench as she began to cry. He let go of the man's hand as he rounded the bed. He crouched to her height, trying to work out what to do.

"Lyra?"

"You can go now. You've done your part. You can go back to California and forget we ever fucking existed," she spat, standing up. "You've done it well these past four years."

Tony stood as well, eyes narrowing in anger. "You left. You're the one that left!" he yelled.

"You fucking cheated on me with two girls! At once!" she screamed back. "You were never around! You probably fucked more than that behind my back! Fuck, Tony! I left to save my own life. You were toxic!"

"Then, why do you care if I leave!?"

"Because, you asshole! You were my best friend. You were like a son to him! I needed you when my mom died, and you weren't there. You were fucking every woman that walked into your office," she yelled.

Happy opened the door, noticing the man lying on the bed. "I'll call to get him taken care of. You two take it out here. He wouldn't want to listen to this."

Lyra let more tears fall as she stormed from the room. Tony followed her until they made it to the kitchen. He watched her take out a bottle of whiskey, drinking it straight from the bottle. He went up to her, yanking it to drink from it instead.

"I'm sorry, Lyra," he said in a whisper. He watched her continue to cry. "I was stupid. Immature. I shouldn't have let you go from my life."

Lyra snorted. "You're not sorry. You haven't matured."

She flinched when Tony grabbed her arm. "Come back to Malibu with me. Leave Hammer for now. Take a break. I'll let you work in my lab if you want, but you don't need to be alone."

"You just hate Hammer."

"He's a four-eyed pinhead with the brain of a pea. Have you actually seen the stuff he produces?" he asked with a roll of his eyes.

She narrowed hers. "No. He won't allow me in the lab."

"Why the fuck not?"

"He is afraid of you," she said with a raised brow. "Thinks I'll create something and give it to you."

Tony shook his head. "Come on. Come live with me. You heard Owen. I need to take care of you."

Happy answered the door when the men came to take her father's body. Someone walked up to Lyra to speak, and she waved Tony off. It was a horrible night, but she knew it was coming. She tried to stay positive.

"Jarvis?" she asked quietly when the men finally left.

"Yes, Miss Redfield?"

"What should I do?" she whispered.

"I believe you know exactly what is the best course of action for the time being, Miss Redfield. The question is whether or not you'll do what you need to do."