79 | simple life

A year had passed since Tony and Lyra had officially 'left' the Avengers to live 'normally

A year had passed since Tony and Lyra had officially 'left' the Avengers to live 'normally.' Charlotte was now two–almost three–years old, a terrible trouble maker like her father. She was incredibly smart, learning words and numbers easily. Tony and Lyra had found a farm house that reminded Lyra a lot of Clint's home, but she was glad to have a home since the Malibu Mansion collapsed. It was relieving that it was only on the outskirts of New York, so they could go in to do work or see their friends.

Tony and Lyra's relationship was mending as fast as it could since the Ultron problem. They had argued for a while, Tony still trying to make Lyra see the need for Vision, since that was his original idea to begin with. She finally caught on after a while, but it took her longer to completely forgive him as he decided that he wanted to make another arc reactor that he could wear with his suit entrapped in it. It would be in case he needed it at any moment's notice. She tried to understand, but they were safe for now. She did not understand why he needed his suit around all the time, so for the meantime, he did not wear it to please her. She had stopped wearing her bracelet, after all, and she had not used her powers either. She wanted to live normally.

Thor and Bruce were still missing. Well, Thor was on Asgard, but Bruce had not returned home. Pietro and Wanda visited the Stark home as often as they could, always wanting to spend time with their 'parents.' They had yet to get official adoption papers since they were not U.S. citizens, but it was a work in progress.

Another big change was finally getting married.

It was as small as it could have been. Rhodey and Pepper were there with Happy. Pietro and Wanda were allowed. That was it. Charlotte stayed in Pietro's arms the whole time, favoring him over most when he was around. Lyra Redfield was officially Lyra Stark. It made their simple life idea better, and Tony and Lyra were growing more and more in their relationship to mend it and be better. They loved each other and had been through so much.

They deserved the simple life.

"Tony! Get your ass up! You're going to be late for that MIT conference!" Lyra yelled from the kitchen as Charlotte colored pictures. Lyra was making breakfast, and Tony had places to be.

Finally, Tony walked in with a frown on his face with a suit that was all out of place. He pouted. "Pepper is still mad at me. I don't think she's coming."

"Good for her. You were a jerk."

Tony glared as she turned to fix his tie. "Tuck your shirt in. Charlie, move over so Daddy can eat." Tony had a favorite chair at the kitchen table. Charlotte enjoyed pestering him by sitting in it. She grinned, not moving. "Charlotte Maria. Don't make me ask you again."

She pouted, so much like her damn father. "Fine," she grumbled, moving her crayons out of the way as she moved seats.

"Pepper told me she was spending the day with Charlotte, so no, I don't think she'll be there."

Tony groaned, lowering his head to the table. Lyra tapped it once as she placed a plate of food in front of him before placing another one in front of Charlotte.

"What are you doing today?" Tony asked with a small smile.

"Steve wanted me to visit the facility. He said there was something he needed to talk about," Lyra said as she placed her own plate down to eat. Tony hooked his leg with hers under the table. "Charlie, eat. You can color after."

Charlotte looked at Tony, holding her fork out and opening her mouth. She knew how to eat on her own, but she liked Tony to do it.

Tony smirked, kissing her cheek and grabbing the fork to get some food on it. Lyra smiled at their interaction.

After Tony kissed Lyra, he left the house to make his way to that conference. Charlotte helped Lyra clean up until the doorbell rang. Pepper walked in, grinning at the pair doing dishes. Charlotte stood on a chair in front of Lyra so that she did not fall, but when she caught sight of Pepper, she almost jumped right off.

"Auntie Pep!"

"Hey, baby," Pepper said, picking her up before she fell. "I got us two tickets to the zoo today. How about that?"

Charlotte's eyes widened. "Yes!" she screamed before going into a rant about the animals she would see.

"Go find your shoes," Pepper said, nudging her toward the living room. When Charlotte was gone, she turned to Lyra worriedly. "Have you seen the news?"

Lyra's blood went cold. "What?" she wiped her hands on the towel before placing it down.

Pepper pulled up her phone. It showed a video of Wanda sending an explosion right to a side of a building. "Oh, my God! Why didn't Steve call me!?" Lyra panicked. "Oh, look at her face! She looks devastated. I bet she's kicking herself about it. I need to get over there right away." Pepper nodded. "I'll be back tonight. We'll get dinner."

Charlotte ran back in with sandals. She grinned. "Found them!"

Lyra crouched to kiss her. "Be good for Auntie Pep, okay? I love you."

"I love you five, Mommy!" Charlotte called.

Lyra kissed her cheek once more before hurrying to her room to grab shoes, a jacket, car keys, and her phone and wallet. When she was on her way, she called Steve. He did not respond. "Shit," she muttered. "Shit!" Wanda would get the blame. She was not a U.S. citizen. "Shit!" she screamed once more as she sped up.