00 | reencounter

THE mansion was as large as she remembered

THE mansion was as large as she remembered. She scowled to herself as she felt the wind pick up as a storm began to pass over the area. The rain began to patter on the ground around her, coloring the walkway up to the large, extravagant doors. There was no backing out of it now, for she was doing this for her father. Even if she would rather jump off the damn cliff, she would answer her father's wishes.

Knocking on the door, she listened as the rain became harder around her. The scowl was ever present as she saw a hologram ray began to scan her face. There was speaking inside: she reckoned it was Jarvis telling whoever was inside that there was someone waiting.

The large door clicked open as she came face to face was a man she knew well. His brown hair was short and his suit clean as usual. She furrowed her brows, knowing Happy Hogan never stayed around unless Anthony Stark was going out.

"Miss Redfield?" Happy's voice was completely in shock. "What are you—He's very busy—"

"Good morning, Happy. I'm sure Mr. Stark is very busy. Busy enough, in fact, to not be ready for what—an interview? A meeting? Never changes, does he?" she said, smiling tightly. "I need a few words. Trust me, I'm not here on my own wishes."

Happy was too shocked to say anything as she pushed past him. Her heels were clicking on the hardwood floor as she went to his bar. "Jarvis, is he in his playroom?"

"Yes, Miss Redfield. Shall I inform him of your presence?"

"Not at all. Thanks, J," she said, making herself a cup of whiskey.

Happy simply followed her, stammering that she should leave. She took a nice, long sip from her cup as she walked down the stairs. Tapping her code, she watched as the machine whirred with her facial recognition.

"Pepper, I know I'm late," Tony's voice rang around the room. "I need to finish—"

"Tony," Happy warned.

She looked around the room, seeing the new additions since her parting from his life. Scoffing as she saw more cars than normal, she almost jumped when Tony pushed out from underneath a blue one, sweat glistening off of his forehead and arms that were shown from the black tank top he was wearing.

"Happy? Why are—" his eyes widened as he looked up, eyes following from her feet to her exposed legs in her dress. He went up her body slowly before meeting her crystal blue eyes that were seemingly as angry as the storm outside. He finally realized she was drinking his whiskey when her dark red lips wrapped around the small glass to finish it. "Was that my favorite, Lyra?"

She placed the glass on one of his tables. "No. It was my favorite. I'm not here on my own will. I'm only here to deliver a message."

"Don't sound too excited, Ly," he said sarcastically, with a roll of his eyes as he grabbed a towel to wipe his hands. "Jarvis, why wasn't I informed she was here?"

"Miss Redfield has access to everything—including my commands, sir. She asked me not to," Jarvis responded.

"Hmm," Tony grumbled, "I forgot to wipe you from the system."

Lyra smiled tightly. "Don't care. I'm here on behalf of my father."

His face fell from emotions. His eyes flickered to Happy before he threw his towel on the table. "Well?"

"He's dying," she said without emotion. His eyes flashed in pain. "He wants to see you tomorrow night for dinner."

"Dying of what?" Tony said stiffly.

"Got real sick with the flu. Turned out to be pneumonia, and the doctors said his old body is rejecting the medicines. I think he's ready to be with Mom again, but I—" she took a breath to stop the emotion from showing, "but I promised him I'd get you to visit."

"You have meetings all day tomorrow," Happy reminded, flinching when Lyra glared at him from the corner of her eyes.

"Why does he want to see me?" Tony asked, walking to his bar down here to pour himself another drink. Lyra jumped when one of Tony's robots grabbed her cup to bring it to him. He poured some in her cup as well, watching as the robot brought it back to her.

"He loved you like a son, Mr. Stark," Lyra said. "He is holding out until he says goodbye."

Tony clenched his cup tightly. He smiled softly as she downed her drink quickly. "I don't know if he—"

"I swear to God, Anthony Stark, if you don't—"

"I'll be there," he said softly. "What time?"

"It's not like you'll be on time."

"Lyra," he warned, beckoning the robot to grab her cup again.

"No more. I have to drive back to the airport," she said stiffly.

Tony smirked. "You've always had a high tolerance. I think you'll be fine. Better yet, Happy can drive you home." He walked forward toward her with a full cup. She gulped as he neared her. "Or you could stay. You know I always like when you stay, Ly."

She backed away, her ankle rolling over her heel in the brisk movement. Tony's arms wrapped around her waist to help her up.

She took a deep breath, pushing his arms off of her with a scowl that was half-hearted. She had taken a deep breath, inhaling the familiar scent of him. She knew this was a bad idea to come.

"I need to go. Six o'clock, Mr. Stark. Please, be on fucking time," she snarled lowly. She watched his eyes scan her face. "For once in your life... he's counting on you to be there."

"I'll be there," Tony promised, eyes being sincere.

"I'll believe it when I see it," she said with a frown, sighing to herself. "You're late for an interview?"

Tony smirked, nodding.

"Go take a shower," she demanded. "Get dressed. Don't keep Happy waiting."

Tony nodded. "Yes, ma'am."

She turned to walk off. "Nice seeing you, Happy."

Happy smiled softly, nodding. "You, too, Lyra."

The door opened for her, and she smiled thoughtlessly. "Thanks, Jarvis."

"You're welcome, Miss Redfield. Be careful," he replied lightly.

Lyra grinned. "Will do."

Tony watched her hips sway as she climbed up the stairs, stealing one more glance at him. He followed her with his eyes until she was gone from view. He fell backward onto the chair behind him until he remembered her words. He stood with a sigh.

"Get the car ready. I'll be down in ten."

Happy smirked. "She always had a way with you, didn't she?"

Tony began to walk upstairs. "She sure did. Did she get taller? Hair longer? More beautiful? It's crazy,
isn't it?" he asked rhetorically as he left Happy to laugh at his retreating figure. "Jarvis, tell Miss Potts I need to reschedule everything after four tomorrow."

"Yes, sir."

Happy smiled as he followed Tony up the stairs. Lyra Redfield was always the best thing to happen to Anthony Stark.