16 | obadiah has gone crazy

WALKING out of the elevator, she saw Pepper coming out of an office

WALKING out of the elevator, she saw Pepper coming out of an office. She grabbed her arm tightly, fear coursing through her veins. "He knows," she whispered harshly. "Obadiah," she clarified, and she saw Pepper's eyes widened.

"They said he was not here," she hissed back.

"I don't think it was a coincidence. I got the files. We need to go... Obadiah ordered the attack on Tony in Afghanistan," she whispered as their heels were in sync to get the hell out of there.

"Ms. Potts? We had an appointment. Did you forget about our appointment?" a man called; Lyra vaguely recognized as the man Tony was trying to get rid of at the benefit. Pepper reached over and grabbed his arm.

Pepper glanced around. "Nope, right now. Come with me."

"Right now?" The man looked shocked as he followed them.

"We're going to have it right now. Yeah, walk with us," Pepper said quickly, keeping the man between them.

The man nodded. "Okay."

Lyra laughed. "We're going to give you the meeting of your life. Your office... er—"

"Agent Coulson, Miss Redfield," he said quickly, noticing her fidgeting hands. "What's going on?"

Pepper turned sharply as they left the lobby. "Call Tony," she instructed Lyra.

Lyra pulled out her phone, dialing his number as they walked. He picked up, but it was silent. "Tony? Tony, are you there? Hello?" she heard shuffling and a grunt of pain.

Obadiah's voice traveled through the microphone. "Breathe. Easy"

She hanged up, cursing. "Obadiah is there! How did he get there so fast!" They sped up. "He's going to kill him," she whimpered.

Agent Coulson's eyes widened as he picked up his own phone. "We need a car," he called to someone in his device.

When they were getting in the car, she dialed Rhodey's phone number. "Hello?"

"Rhodey! You need to check on Tony! Obadiah paid to have Tony killed—he's there now! We're with agents from S.H.I.E.L.D. going to find his Sector 16 shit—arrest him if we find him. Please—"

"What do you mean, he paid to have Tony killed? Lyra, slow down. Why would Obadiah... Okay, where's Tony now?"

Pepper and Coulson were talking about something as Lyra panicked. "I don't know. He's not answering his phone. Please go over there and make sure everything's okay."

"I'm on my way, Ly. Calm down," he said softly.

"Thank you, Rhodey," Lyra said.

Pepper looked at Coulson. "I know a shortcut," she said seriously as they began to drive abnormally fast.

Agent Coulson went to his phone again. "Yes, sir. We've got a problem. I'm heading there now with Miss Potts and Miss Redfield. I'll report back to you soon."

Lyra was shaking so much, and Pepper placed a soothing hand on her own. Pepper smiled softly. "We'll get there, darling. He'll be okay."

In the Malibu mansion, Tony had fallen over while trying to get to the arc reactor in the casing Lyra had made him. Obadiah had just taken his new one straight from his chest, and Tony was slowly dying. He had tried to reach it, but his legs gave out. He tried his best to grab it, but it was out of his reach. Tony fell to the ground, ready to accept his death as there was nothing he could do. Soon, DUM-E whirred to life as he gently picked up the casing and lowered it to his height on the floor. Tony glanced at the machine, and he praised him quietly, "Good boy."

Tony smashed the glass to reveal the arc reactor and hurriedly clicked it into place with a loud gasp as the air left him. He fell over in pain, trying to catch his breath... trying to stay alive and stand. He felt hopeless.

Suddenly, Tony heard Rhodey's voice screaming. "Tony? Tony?" The voice grew closer as Rhodey made it to the lab. "Tony? Tony? Tony!" When Rhodey saw Tony on the ground in pain, he immediately went over to turn him over. "Tony! You okay?" Tony gasped, gripping onto Rhodey's jacket.

"Where's Lyra?" he gasped.

Rhodey shook his head. "She's fine. She's with five agents and Pepper. They're about to arrest Obadiah."

Tony tried to stand using Rhodey's help as a seething glare etched onto his face. "That's not going to be enough."

Pepper and Lyra stormed from the car in sync as they made it to where the industry's lab was. Lyra watched as Pepper kept hooded eyes as she mumbled, "Section 16. Section 16."

Lyra saw the door and shouted, "There it is."

Pepper immediately went forward to open it. "My key's not working. It's not opening the door."

Agent Coulson placed a device on the door causing Pepper to look amazed. "Oh, wow! What's that? It's, like, a little device. It's, like, a thing that's going to pick the lock?"

"You might want to take a few steps back," Lyra said to Pepper, recognizing the device. The door exploded behind them, and the agents went in first to try and understand what the hell was going on.

Agent Coulson found the prototype suits first. "Looks like you were right. He was building a suit."

Lyra furrowed her brows. "Thought it'd be bigger."

Lyra's phone began to ring, and she let out a relieved sigh at Tony's name. "Lyra!?" he called worriedly.

Lyra took a deep breath. "Tony! Tony, are you okay?"

Tony's voice was far away, and she immediately could tell he was in the suit. "I'm fine. How are—"

Lyra shook her head. "Obadiah, he's gone insane!"

"I know. Listen, you'd better get out of there. Get Pepper out, too, okay?"

Lyra gulped as she looked around the dark room as Pepper and the agents investigated. "He built a suit."

Tony seemed to growl over the phone as he realized what danger Lyra was in because of him. "Get out of there right now!"