17 | the end of obie

LYRA immediately screamed as a giant suit appeared behind her, hitting agents to the side

LYRA immediately screamed as a giant suit appeared behind her, hitting agents to the side. She began to run to Pepper, grabbing her hand to get out of there. The agents tried to shoot at it, but there was no defeating him in that suit. Pepper called for Coulson to get them out of there, but Obadiah knocked his arm into Pepper, causing her to be knocked out.

Lyra ran from the room before Obadiah could grab her, and he was stuck behind the door. Hiding behind a pillar, she heard the wall break as Obadiah walked through with his suit. After grumbling to himself, he saw the other agents trying to shoot at him. He had them in his hands as Tony's suit landed in front of him.

"Put them down!"

"Collateral damage!" Obadiah responded in a robotic voice.

The pair began to fight, leaving the room to go outside. Lyra realized all of the agents were down and she still had her phone in her hand. She ran outside, trying to figure out what she could do to help.

She saw Tony and Obadiah beginning to fly up into the sky, and she felt her heart beating abnormally fast as she tried to weight out her options on what to do.

When she saw Obadiah fall onto the roof, Tony landed next to him. Suddenly, Obadiah began to fight again, and Lyra felt herself grow sick.

She ran into the headquarters just as she heard, "Ly?" in a whisper.

"Tony! Oh, my God, are you okay?" Lyra asked as she made it to the arc reactor command board. She tried to figure out a way to turn off Obadiah's suit, but if she did anything, Tony may get hit.

"I'm almost out of power. I've got to get out of this thing. I'll be right there," he said softly before a loud crash was heard.

"Nice try!" Obadiah called with a laugh.

"Weapons status?" Tony asked Jarvis.

"Repulsors offline. Missiles offline."

"Flares!" Tony called, sending them to Obadiah.

"Very clever, Tony," Obadiah taunted.

Tony called out, "Lyra, where are you?"

Lyra looked up. "Beneath you. By the arc reactor. There may be a way—"

Tony cut her off. "This isn't working. We're going to have to overload the reactor and blast the roof."

"Well, how are you going to do that?" Lyra asked, hands fidgeting more.

Tony let out a quiet laugh. "You're going to do it. Go to the central console, open up all the circuits. When I get clear of the roof, I'll let you know. You're going to hit the master bypass button. It's going to fry everything up here."

Lyra looked for the mainframe. "Okay. I'm doing it now."

"Make sure you wait till I clear the roof. I'll buy you some time," he paused, grabbing something off of Obadiah's suit. "This looks important!"

Obadiah laughed, throwing him off into the glass roof. "I never had a taste for this sort of thing, but I must admit, I'm deeply enjoying the suit! You finally outdid yourself, Tony! You'd have made your father proud!"

Lyra had flicked all of the switches, awaiting his command to hit the button. She kept the phone to her ear. "It's ready, Tony! Get off the roof! Tony!"

"How ironic, Tony! Trying to rid the world of weapons, you gave it its best one ever!"

Lyra saw Tony struggling above her, still too close to the arc reactor. She would kill him if she did it now. "Lyra!"

"And now I'm going to kill you with it!" Obadiah's guns could not focus on Tont. "You ripped out my targeting system!"

Tony looked down at her. "Time to hit the button!"

"You told me not to!"

Obadiah grunted. "Hold still, you little prick!"

Tony moved out of the way from an oncoming bullet. "Just do it!"

"You'll die!"

Tony yelled, "Push it!"

Lyra pressed the button, watching the arc reactor heat up. Everything began to crackle with electricity. She watched as the roof began to blow up, and she struggled to get out of there. She pushed a piece of rubble out of the way as she watched the roof explode. "Tony!"

She watched his body fly off the roof onto the ground. She ran for it, not knowing what else to do. She heard sirens and saw black cars appear with agents that looked similar to Coulson.

She yelled for them. "Pepper and Coulson are still in there with a bunch of agents!"

They took off immediately as one woman approached Lyra. Lyra knocked off Tony's helmet to see his eyes closed. "Jarvis?"

"Life function's critical," he replied.

"Get him out of the suit," she ordered Jarvis.

The suit opened as she pulled him out.

"We need EMT's over here," the woman agent called. "Miss Redfield, my name is Agent Maria Hill. I need you to explain what happened."

Tony was put on a stretcher as they got to work. She looked at the agent. "I need to make sure Tony and Pepper are all right. You can have my statement after," she snarled. "Jarvis, enable self-destruct on the suit," she added, following after Tony's body and hearing a small explosion as the suit erupted into flames. It was a dead suit anyway. He would make more. As she jumped into the ambulance, she called Happy to let him know what was going on.

Using her fingers to brush hair away from his eyes, she sighed in relief that their problems were done.