03 | straddling

TONY simply smirked from his spot in the passenger seat

TONY simply smirked from his spot in the passenger seat. Happy was driving back to the airport where Stark's private plane was waiting for them. Lyra thought herself lucky that her father had made it very clear he did not want a funeral. He wanted to be buried by her mother and that was that. Lyra felt odd to be in the presence of Tony Stark for this long, but the bastard was enjoying the fuck out of it.

Tony's phone rang causing her to jump in her seat. Happy snorted since he saw her, but he averted his eyes when she glared at him.

"Hey, Pep. Yeah, yeah, this wasn't my fault, you're inclined to know. I'm bringing a friend back to Malibu, so she had to pack up her life. Took ages, the slow poke, but she's potty trained and can get her own food. Perfectly wonderful," he said quickly, taking a sip of something in his glass—probably alcohol of some sort.

"Ooh, stop yelling. I'll make it," he said after almost two minutes of yelling from the other side of the line. "Yup, don't w—Aaand she hung up."

Happy laughed as they pulled up next to a large plane. Tony walked off, chuckling at a man waiting for him. The man wore a scowl as Tony hugged him slightly. When Happy grabbed two of Lyra's bags. She grabbed the final one as she neared the two still talking.

Suddenly, the man's eyes widened.

"Little Lyra," the man called with a smirk.

"Rhodey," she greeted, smiling as the man pulled her in for a hug. "You look great."

"Wow. You look... beautiful," he said with a smile as he backed away. "I'm sorry about your father."

"He knew it was his time. He was ready," she said with a shrug. "You're still doing his dirty work?" she asked referring to Tony.

"Always. Come on, let's get settled for take off," Rhodey replied with a smile.

Tony scoffed. "Dirty work? Baby, I am enough dirty for the both of us."

Lyra ignored him as she took a seat by the window—not even realizing it was the same seat she would always sit in.

Tony smirked as he sat across from her. He waved a flight attendant to them. "Vodka, please. Four glasses."

"No," Rhodey said. "I'm not drinking."

Happy shrugged. "One won't hurt."

Lyra did not respond as the woman gave her a glass filled to the brim. She knocked it back in one shot. Tony bit his lip. "Wow, Ly. I didn't think I could be anymore attracted to you. Wanna go to the bathroom?" he asked with a wink.

Lyra glared at him. "You're making me regret this."

"Ah, you regretted it as soon as the word left your mouth. There is no going back now," Tony sassed, drinking his slower as he watched her refill the cup.

Rhodey snorted. "It's like these years never passed. Am I in a time loop?" he asked Happy.

Happy shrugged, nodding a bit. "They were always at each other's throats." Lyra groaned when her phone rang again. "Is it Hammer again?" Happy asked.

"Yup. He's not taking my resignation very well."

Tony leaned over, grabbing her phone. "Yello?... Nope, this is Tony Stark of Stark Industries... is this really you, Hammer? God, you sound more pathetic on the phone," he said, leaning away when Lyra tried to grab her phone with a scowl. "Oh, she's busy." Lyra placed her knee on one side of Tony's body as she tried to pry the phone from his hand. "Straddling me actually. It's a lovely position, so I'll have to let you go to enjoy it."

"Fucking Tony!"

"See? She's screaming my name. Stop calling her, Hammer."

He hanged up with a bright smirk, dropping her phone to the ground as his hands went to her waist. "Ah, this is familiar."

"Tony," Rhodey warned as Lyra shoved his hands off of her.

"God, you haven't changed a bit," Lyra said, leaning over to grab her phone.

Tony smirked as her chest brushed against his hand. "Come on, Ly. I was getting him off your back, but I can't help it when a beautiful girl falls in my lap."

"Happens often, huh? Every night? Maybe two at a time?" Lyra spat as she sat in her chair without looking at him.

Tony rolled his eyes. Rhodey shook his head. "So what's the plan, Lyra?"

Lyra took another shot of vodka as she looked at Rhodey. "Plan?"

"You're staying with Tony, yes?"

"For a few weeks at most," she decided. "I needed out of New York right now anyway. I'll go back eventually... but it's not where I need to be right now."

"And work?"

"We've decided she'll work on the side for me. Small projects that actually allow her in the lab unlike Jack-Hammer who was too scared she'd take over the company," Tony scoffed, "at least then I'd have proper competition. Who does Hammer think he is?"

"An idiot?" Lyra offered, smiling when he winked her way.

"You sure you'll be all right living with him?" Rhodey asked.

"I'll check in to make sure they haven't killed each other," Happy offered.

"Good idea," Rhodey said with a smirk.

When the plane landed, Tony held out his arm mockingly as cameras started to flash. Happy pushed ahead with two of Lyra's bags. When they were passing people who were asking who she was, Tony just made comments about their appearances ("Hey, Ginger-Ale," he called to a red-head, "your fly is down.") As they made it near the large car, she almost tripped over her heels when she saw Pepper Potts standing with a scowl.

"You are late," she seethed to Tony. "Hello, Miss Redfield."

"Miss Potts. Please call me Lyra," she said softly. Pepper smiled softly. "It's really my fault, this time." She eyed Tony as the man put shades over his eyes with a grin as he pointed to her with his hands as if saying 'See?'

"Well, Happy and Tony, you both go. I'll bring Miss—Er... Lyra to the mansion," Pepper said quickly. "Thanks," she said to Happy as he placed Lyra's bags into her car.

"I'm driving!" Tony called happily as he passed Lyra. He kissed her cheek. "I'll see you tonight."

She scowled as he left with a smirk.