44 | finding the cube

THE room was silent after Fury walked away from Loki's cell

THE room was silent after Fury walked away from Loki's cell. Lyra sat near Steve as he watched the screen with interest. "He really grows on you, doesn't he?" Bruce said referring to Fury when the silence became too much.

Steve tapped his fingers against his leg. "Loki's gonna drag this out. So, Thor, what's his play?"

Thor was standing near the end of the table, already having apologized for fighting Lyra since he was not aware who was inside the suit. He was very old-fashioned, so as he spoke, he called her Lady Lyra. "He has an army called the Chitauri. They're not of Asgard or any world known. He means to lead them against your people. They will win him the earth. In return, I suspect, for the Tesseract."

"An army? From outer space?" Lyra asked incredulously.

Bruce nodded. "So he's building another portal. That's what he needs Erik Selvig for."

Thor perked up at the name. "Selvig?"

"He's an astrophysicist."

"He's a friend," Thor amended.

Natasha sighed. "Loki has him under some kind of spell, along with one of ours," she said as she eyed Lyra as the woman looked down in sadness.

"I wanna know why Loki let us take him. He's not leading an army from here," Steve said.

"I don't think we should be focusing on Loki. That guy's brain is a bag full of cats, you could smell crazy on him," Bruce said with a laugh.

"Have care how you speak. Loki is beyond reason, but he is of Asgard, and he's my brother."

"He killed eighty people in two days."

"He's adopted."

Lyra smirked as Bruce eyed him for a moment. "I think it's about the mechanics. Iridium, what did they need the Iridium for?"

Tony walked in with Coulson. He answered Bruce, "It's a stabilizing agent." He looked at Coulson as if he was continuing a conversation, "I'll fly you to Portland. Keep the love alive." He turned back to Bruce. "Means the portal won't collapse on itself like it did at S.H.I.E.L.D." He patted Thor's shoulder as he passed. "No hard feelings, Point Break. You've got a mean swing." He went back to Bruce. "Also, it means the portal can open as wide, and stay open as long, as Loki wants." He then looked around at the agents and crewmembers around him. "Uh, raise the mid-mast, ship the topsails. That man is playing GALAGA! Thought we wouldn't notice. But we did."

He covered his eye as he looked at the computers. "How does Fury do this?"

Agent Hill sighed. "He turns."

Tony turned, hand caressing the table as he placed something underneath it with a wink to Lyra. "Well, that sounds exhausting. The rest of the raw materials, Agent Barton can get his hands on pretty easily. Only major component he still needs is a power source. A high energy density, something to kick start the cube."