41 | captain america

"WHERE are we going, sir?" Lyra said, fixing her hair into a ponytail in her reflection of the elevator

"WHERE are we going, sir?" Lyra said, fixing her hair into a ponytail in her reflection of the elevator. She completely flipped from happy Lyra to Agent Redfield. "I apologize for missing your calls."

Coulson shrugged. "No big deal. I do have to say... you seem very happy with him," Coulson said as he pulled up something on a tablet.

Lyra looked down at her shorts and one of Tony's shirts with her flats. "I need to change," she muttered to herself, but then, Coulson's words registered in her brain. She smiled at him. "I told you all before, you don't know Tony as I do. He's the best thing to ever happen to me."

Coulson hummed in response as he handed her a tablet.

"Captain America? That's where we are going?" Lyra asked with wide eyes. She looked down at her outfit. "And I look like this."

Coulson sniggered as he walked out of the tower to see the car waiting. He opened the door for her with a tight smile. As they drove to an unfamiliar part of New York, she turned to look at Coulson. "He lives in New York?"

"Read," Coulson said in a bored manner as he made a turn. She read on the tablet everything there was to know about Captain America. She read about his past and what happened to him with a supersoldier serum.

"This is awful," she murmured. "Poor guy."

"Yeah, well. You'll be the first Avenger to meet him, so smile and wave," Coulson said as they pulled up at an apartment complex. She turned to see a tall and broad man walking from the lobby area, and she cursed herself.

Opening the door, she smiled awkwardly when the man's eyes found hers. "Hey," she said after a moment when he stopped in front of her. "Sorry, I normally dress better. Coulson caught me at a bad time... er—Hi! I'm Agent Lyra Redfield," she said in a stammered blur. "Y-You can call me Lyra or... or whatever."

The man's lips twitched into a smile as he extended his hand for her. "Steve Rogers. Call me Steve."

She shook it with a wry smile. "You want the front seat?" He shook his head as he opened the backseat and hopped in. Coulson greeted him, and Lyra jumped back in to see Coulson smirking her way. "What?"

"That was smooth," he said.

"Yeah, well fuck me. I didn't wake up prepared to have a mission today and meet Captain America," Lyra said as Coulson laughed.

Steve furrowed his brows as he watched her. She did not act like any woman he had ever met in the forties. He wondered if all spoke such crude words so easily and dressed like that everywhere. He shook his head, remembering her words. Coulson caught her at a bad time, and she was very sweet in her greeting. He would wait and see where this friendship went as time passed.

They reached a Quinjet, and Lyra grinned. "Is Clint going to be there?" she asked Coulson with a wide smile. She yelped when Steve opened her car door for her. She eyed him before nodding. "Thanks."

Coulson ignored her, but she asked again when she noticed his hardened gaze. She grabbed Coulson's arm before he could go to the pilot. "Where is Barton?"

"Loki has taken him using his magic..." Coulson said, watching the happiness leave her eyes.

Steve watched with a bite of his lip as she sat down in one of the chairs with a distant look in her eyes.

"Redfield?" Coulson called as the Quinjet began to take off. "We'll get him back."

Her gaze hardened as she stood. "Where are we going?"

"To meet the rest of the team," Coulson said.

Steve watched as she became a completely different person from the bubbly, stammering woman he had just met as time passed on the jet. She put a pair of glasses on as she called for, "Jarvis?" Steve looked around the plane, but he did not see anyone.

"What do you need, ma'am?" the voice spoke, scaring Steve.

"Pull up the files Tony was reading," she said with narrowed eyes. Suddenly, Steve jumped back as a 3D hologram of the Hulk, Thor, and himself appeared in front of him. "Bring up Loki's profile." She extended her hands to throw himself and the Hulk to the side. "Keep Thor's information as well."

"What's happening?" Steve finally asked.

"Artificial Intelligence," she answered as she swiped through Loki's files. She smiled slightly when he seemed to stare at Hulk's attack. She walked over, using her fingers to swipe the video toward him. "Just touch it to access his information," she said gently.

She watched as he gently tapped the hologram, but he jumped back in shock when everything on Dr. Banner popped up.

"Wow," he breathed.

The pilot called for them a few hours later. It was becoming daylight now. "We're about forty minutes out from base, sir."

Agent Coulson stood up to walk through the holograms toward another end of the jet. Steve finished reading the files and looked up at the two agents. "So, this Doctor Banner was trying to replicate the serum that was used on me?"

"A lot of people were. You were the world's first superhero. Banner thought gamma radiation might hold the key to unlocking Erskine's original formula," Coulson replied.

Steve watched the Hulk slam another car. "Didn't really go his way, did it?"

"Not so much," Lyra said as she flickered through the Tesseract file. She sent him another gentle smile. "When he's not that thing though, guy's like a Stephen Hawking."

Steve looked confused at the name. Coulson laughed lightly. "He's like a smart person. I gotta say, it's an honor to meet you, officially," Coulson said as Steve smiled. "I sort of met you, I mean, I watched you while you were sleeping."

Steve looked down for a moment before swiping the video to the side and standing up to walk toward a part of the ship with Coulson following. "I mean, I was... I was present while you were unconscious from the ice. You know, it's really, it's just a... just a huge honor to have you onboard."

"Smooth," Lyra snorted, mocking him from earlier.

"Well, I hope I'm the man for the job," Steve said as he eyed the table in front of him. He saw a suit sitting there that was all black.

"Oh, you are. Absolutely. Uh... we've made some modifications to the uniform. I had a little design input," Coulson said when he saw the man eyeing Lyra's suit.

"The uniform? Aren't the stars and stripes a little... old-fashioned?"

"With everything that's happening, the things that are about to come to light, people might just need a little old-fashioned," Coulson said seriously. "Redfield, get suited up."

"Thanks, Jarvis," she spoke aloud again before looking at Coulson. "Yes, sir," she said before closing everything and picking up her glasses. She brushed past Steve to grab her suit.

"I designed it to be fitted in case you have to use the Iron Princess suit," Coulson said as she walked to the changing room.

Lyra rose a brow. "That name is sticking around?"

"Fury likes it."

Steve watched her disappear. "Iron Princess?" he asked.

"Heard of Tony Stark?" Coulson asked. Steve paused before nodding. "You just met the most important person in his life."