52 | aldrich killian

LYRA walked into Pepper's office with Happy following

LYRA walked into Pepper's office with Happy following. She took in the man's appearance with shock as she thought he was mildly attractive—she wondered why Pepper rejected the man. Smiling politely, she held out her hand to shake in greeting. He seemed to take in her appearance before a large smirk graced his face.

"You're not Pepper," he began, "no, you're Lyra Redfield, correct?"

"Mr. Killian?" Lyra asked when they shook hands.

"Please, call me Aldrich," he said with a charming smile.

"Uh, you were supposed to be issued a security badge," Happy interrupted, watching their hands fall from their shake.

"Happy, it's okay," Lyra said softly.

"Yes?"

"We're good."

"You sure?"

"Yes. Stand down."

"Okay. I'm gonna linger, right here," he said as he went to stand right outside the door.

"Thank you."

"Okay."

Happy closed the glass door with his eyes watching Killian's moves like a hawk. She laughed slightly before turning to face the man still eyeing her oddly. "It's very nice to meet you, Mr. Killian."

They took a seat opposite of each other as the man cleared his throat. "Yes, uh... I was supposed to have a meeting with Miss Potts, but I think—I think you'll like my idea much better. I've seen your work. You were the real brain behind the arc reactor, of course. And your fighting in New York? I admire you, truly," he complimented. "You're a very strong woman."

"Er—" she felt the familiar anxiety creep up. "Yes, well, thank you. Miss Potts is busy, unfortunately, but I have been sent to review your proposal. So... you can begin whenever."

He nodded, placing something behind his ear. "After years dodging the President's ban on 'immoral biotech research,' my think tank now has a little something in the pipeline. It's an idea we like to call Extremis. I'm gonna turn your lights down," he said, grabbing a device and dimming the lights. He pulled out three metal balls from his pocket and let them roll onto the table. "Regard the human brain."

Suddenly, the balls made a 3D projection appear of the universe causing Lyra's throat to close as she expected the alien creatures to attack her again. She shut her eyes as Killian said, "Uh...wait. Hold on, hold on. That's–that's the universe, my bad. But if I do that–"

He pressed a button that showed the inside of a human brain when her eyes reopened. Her mouth parted in shock.

"That's the brain. Strangely mimetic though, wouldn't you say?" he asked.

"Wow, that's amazing!" Lyra called, genuinely impressed.

Killian smirked. "Thanks, it's mine."