04 | malibu mansion

PEPPER drove in silence as the two women were lost in their thoughts

PEPPER drove in silence as the two women were lost in their thoughts. Lyra gulped as she thought of all the ways this choice she made could go wrong. Did Pepper not like her already? Why was it so quiet? How far was this bloody mansion from the airport? It's only been two days since she had been here. She felt sick.

"Are you all right?" Pepper asked softly.

Lyra took a deep breath. "Trouble breathing when I get anxious. Silly, so sorry."

Pepper shook her head with a smile. "I'm sorry about your father."

"He was—"

"Ready. Rhodey told me," she said with a soft smile. "Tony refused to tell me about you when I found photos a year ago. Mind filling me in?"

Lyra smiled softly. "We grew up together. My parents were like his own. A few years ago, he kissed me. We went out for like a year or two before I found him having a threesome. Never saw him again until a two days ago. He was drunk that night. He let me go. Didn't try and explain himself. Had four years to do it."

"That's awful," Pepper said softly. "He was an idiot for letting you go."

Lyra smiled softly. "Maybe I'm the idiot."

"Why?"

"For coming back."

Pepper glanced over at her. "Did you love him? Before?"

"Of course."

"Do you love him now?"

Lyra did not answer as she felt her throat constrict.

"I–I–How do you—I don't think so," she mumbled. Pepper laughed silently. "Oh, come on. I don't know."

"Maybe it just wasn't your time. He's an asshole, but he has a heart... in there somewhere," Pepper tried. "You wouldn't have come back without truly believing something was different. Every time I brought up your photos or your name in letters he would write but never send... he would freeze up, go straight to drinking. Hell, in the two minutes alone just now, I saw how happy he was to be around you."

Lyra did not respond as they pulled up to the mansion. "Do you need help?" Pepper asked.

"No, I know my way around," Lyra said softly. "Thanks, Miss Potts."

"Please, call me Pepper," she said warmly. "Jarvis? Make sure Lyra gets my number in case she needs me for something."

"Yes, Miss Potts."

Lyra smiled as she pulled her bags from Pepper's car. Pepper drove off once she was waved at, and Lyra stared at the mansion in front of her with fear. She was really doing this.

Opening the door, she heard Jarvis begin speaking. "Mr. Stark has requested you to put your things in his bedroom as before, but I am sure you would rather anything but."

"You know me well, Jarvis. I'll find my way. Could you please let me know the schedule for Tony today? When will he be home?"

She followed the hallway to find an empty bedroom. When inside, she sighed as she shoved her bags onto the bed. She could not believe she was here.

Jarvis hummed. "Scanning Mr. Hogan's list for the day... yes, Mr. Stark is in a meeting now with the council for Stark Industries. Miss Potts will be meeting him for a few signatures afterward, and he is supposed to be at a dinner with a Senator; however, it seems that is up in the air now that you're here."

"Wonderful. I still have access to everything, don't I? All of Stark Industries files?" she asked as she began to unpack her nice clothes to free the wrinkles.

"Yes, ma'am," he said.

"Good," she mumbled to herself. After placing her toiletries into the bathroom, she changed into a pair of shorts and a tank top over her sports bra. Once she placed flats on her feet, she began her way to Tony's lab. "Jarvis, play Tony's work playlist."

"Scanning playlists..." Jarvis said before Back in Black by AC/DC began to play.

"Brilliant," she said as she walked to his bar. "Let's play."

That was how Tony Stark found Lyra Redfield when he finished his meetings that Pepper threatened him to go to. He walked into the lab, tugging off his tie as he wondered why the hell Mötley Crüe was blasting so loud. He caught sight of one of his car projects reflecting around the room. Once he got his tie and jacket off, he finally found the person he was looking for underneath the same car he was working on before.

He watched her as she called for DUM-E to hand her a tool before cursing him out when the robot almost cut her hand open. He walked over to his bar to see a bottle of rum open with an empty glass calling out his name.

When she pulled herself from under the car, she hit her head from jumping back in shock at Tony leaning against the bar watching her.

Her hair was in a ponytail as sweat went down her face, over the few scuff marks from whatever dirt or rust she touched. He saw her body very well as she was hardly wearing anything, now only in a sports bra and shorts because of the heat.

"Do you own an air conditioner?" was what blurted from her mouth.

Tony smirked. "Hey, DUM-E. Try not to take her out next time, will you?" The robot fell sadly. "Jarvis, cool the room. What have you been working on, Miss Redfield?"

"Fixing this horrible engine. Did you think you were close to an interface, Mr. Stark? You were terribly off," she said with mock sympathy. "How's the arc reactor idea been working? I hardly found any files on it."

Tony shook his head as he offered her a glass. "Going through my files, too?" He scoffed. "Gave that up when the large prototype sort of busted. Obadiah says to focus on weapons, so focus on weapons I do."

"Always pulled on a leash. Since when is Obadiah Shane the company leader. I do believe it says Stark on the building," Lyra responded as she grabbed a towel and wiping her hands before taking the glass.

Tony shrugged. "Less work for me if he handles that."

"I still think it is possible."

"Well, now that you're here, you can make that your side project," Tony offered. "Now, beat it. I have shit to do. Jarvis! Reset my awesome playlist!"