86 | the prison

LYRA stared at the cell in front of her, worried for Wanda as her arms were tied up in an odd position

LYRA stared at the cell in front of her, worried for Wanda as her arms were tied up in an odd position. She was not alone, of course, as Lyra's hands were chained with a metal that would take too long to melt, and she had an AC blowing freezing air on her as if it would keep her body heat down. Hell, her eyes had been orange since they brought them there. On the other side of Wanda was Clint, and she could see him laying on his bed, staring at the ceiling.

"Do you think they'll be nice and let you see your kid?" Clint asked, but in his eyes, he was asking for himself.

Lyra sniggered. "No, why would they be nice? It's not like we SAVED THE WORLD at least a dozen times by now for them to owe us a debt, right?"

Clint smirked her way. "Right. We're just so HORRIBLE!"

They pair loved to yell at the cameras.

Sam did not enjoy their yells. Every once and a while, he would shout, "WE GET IT. You guys are awesome. Saved the world. SHUT UP!"

Then, they would laugh. All of them.

It drove Secretary Ross mad.

Scott had said that it was Lyra keeping their spirits alive. Hell, if the news caught wind that Lyra Stark was in jail for using her powers, the world would be outraged—well, those who cared.

It was a few hours after they were shoved into the cells that Clint perked up. His eyes went wide as he began to clap. He leaned on the bars as he screamed, "The Futurist, gentlemen! The Futurist is here! He sees all! He knows what's best for you, whether your like it or not."

"Give me a break, Barton. I had no idea they'd put you here. Come on," Tony said as his eyes immediately searched for Lyra's cell.

Clint spat at him. "Yeah, well, you knew they'd put us somewhere, Tony. You knew they'd put your wife somewhere."

Tony looked uncomfortable. "Yeah, but not some super-max floating ocean pokey. You know, this place is for maniacs. This is a place for—"

Clint smirked maniacally. "Criminals? Criminals, Tony. Think that's the word you're looking for." Tony and Clint stared at each other. "Right? That didn't used to mean me. Or Sam, or Wanda, or Lyra fucking Stark. But here we are."

"Because you broke the law," Tony said.

Clint nodded happily. "Yeah."

"I didn't make you."

Clint began to sing, "La, la, la, la, la—" as he laid back down.

"You read it, you broke it."

"—La, la, la, la, la."

Tony did not realize the hatred oozing off every single one of them was probably worse than it had ever been. "All right, you're all grown up, you got a wife and kids. I don't understand, why didn't you think about them before you chose the wrong side?"

Tony began to walk away to find Lyra.

"You gotta watch your back with this guy. There's a chance he's gonna break it," Clint yelled.

"Hank Pym always said, you never can trust a Stark," Scott sneered.

Tony passed him. "Who are you?"

"Come on, man."

His eyes finally found Lyra's as he stood between hers and Sam's cell. He saw her staring right at him. "Lyra..."

"Don't worry. They made sure it would take me far too long to escape," Lyra pointed out. "One wrong move, Ross said he'd shoot me himself. Yup, Tone, we're the wrong side."

Tony gulped and opened his mouth. Before he could talk, Sam asked, "How's Rhodes?"

"They're flying him to Columbia Medical tomorrow. So... fingers cross." Tony looked around. "What do you need? They feed you yet?"

"You're the good cop now?" Sam asked sarcastically.

Tony shook his head. "I'm just the guy who needs to know where Steve went."

"Well, you better go get a bad cop, because you're gonna have to go Mark Fuhrman on my ass to get information out of me," Sam said.

Tony pressed a button on his watch. "Oh, I just knocked the 'A' out of their 'AV'. We got about 30 seconds before they realize it's not their equipment."

Tony looked at Lyra and Sam before holding up a photo. "Just look. Because that is the fellow who was supposed to interrogate Barnes. Clearly, I made a mistake. Sam, I was wrong."

"Holy shit. Tony Stark is wrong. The world is going to end. That's a first," Lyra yelled, anger in every word.

Tony gave her a look. "Cap is definitely off the reservation but he's about to need all the help he can get. We don't know each other very well. You don't have to—" Tony said to Sam.

"Sam, don't you dare."

"Hey, it's alright," Sam said nervously. "Look, I'll tell you... but you have to go alone and as a friend."

"Easy."

After Sam had told him, Lyra could tell the audio was back on. Tony looked at her sadly. "Charlotte loves you. Pepper, too."

"Really? Does Charlotte know Daddy is the reason I'm in here?" Lyra said sarcastically.

"Lyra—"

"No! You can't do this! You're my husband. My best friend. My partner. You were supposed to trust me. You were supposed to listen. I hope I never get out of here. Because guess what, Tony? Charlotte'll grow up knowing it was your fault," Lyra hissed out.

Tony nodded. "It is my fault. I'll get you out. All of you. Just give me time. Trust me."

"You lost that the moment you let them take me away in hand cuffs," Lyra said, eyes looking away immediately.

"I love you, Lyra. I'm sorry."

"Me, too."