40 | avengers initiative

THE beginning of the year had Tony and Lyra working hard on the arc reactor idea for the Stark Tower in New York

THE beginning of the year had Tony and Lyra working hard on the arc reactor idea for the Stark Tower in New York. This meant that the pair were back in New York working in and around the Tower to make sure they had everything correct in their measurements. This was making Lyra's life easier with S.H.I.E.L.D. because she was able to get to D.C. faster for the small missions she was beginning to work in again. Fury wanted her to stay trained because he was finding some odd movements in the airways again, but he did not want to call her in for that until he was sure. She decided Fury was not telling her everything. But what was new?

As for the Captain that was unfrozen, she had heard from Barton that he was not taking the whole thing as well as they had hoped. She wanted to meet him one day—hopefully, offer some sort of comfort for the fact that he might have felt alone right then. She knew the feeling of loneliness, and she did not want this man to feel it because everyone he knew was dead.

Months later, Pepper had walked into Stark Tower with a grin on her face as she watched Tony and Lyra argue about something in the kitchen area on one of the higher-level floors.

"What is this about now?" Pepper asked with a smirk.

Tony jumped in surprise. "JESUS! Pep, announce yourself!"

"I did," Pepper said before glancing at Lyra's face. "What is this about?"

"Tony won't let me wear my suit to set the arc reactor in place. He wants me to work the control center, but I'm worried about screwing it up," Lyra said with a pout.

Pepper grinned. "Sorry, Ly. I agree with Tony on this one. You're setting it up now?"

Tony nodded like a happy puppy. "Jarvis, get my suit ready!" he called as he ran to the elevator. "Go to the command room, honey! Love you!"

Lyra pointed to Pepper. "You're supposed to be on my side," she said while changing her point into giving her the finger.

"I brought a new bottle of champagne I wanted you to try," Pepper offered, pointing to her large bag.

Lyra turned her middle finger to a heart as she gushed, "You know me so well," as she walked to the elevator and clicked the control room. "See you in a bit."

When Lyra made it to the control room, she sighed as everything was lit up with cameras and other buttons. She saw a security guard, and he waved at her happily since most of the staff knew who she was. She placed her glasses on as she called for Jarvis to connect to Tony's suit.

"Tone?" she asked.

Tony laughed. "I'm about to place it. Going under now."

She could see his suit fly underwater as she tapped her finger on the table.

"You're good on this end. The rest is up to you," Tony said after a moment. Lyra watched the lights flicker slightly.

"You disconnected the transition lines? Are we off the grid?"