96 | taking the fight to him

BACK on Earth, Steve Rogers stared at his phone in disbelief as Natasha flew the Quinjet

BACK on Earth, Steve Rogers stared at his phone in disbelief as Natasha flew the Quinjet. Sam stared at him worriedly. Vision, Wanda, and Pietro sat together as Pietro's legs bounced.

"You are sure?" Pietro asked, accent thick.

Steve nodded solemnly.

"What about Charlotte?" Wanda whispered.

"Miss Potts said she would take care of her for now," Sam said. "She had my number in case of emergencies that she needed Cap. Lyra gave it to her."

Steve lowered his head. "We don't know if they'll return or where they've gone. We have to protect the world—the Universe—now."

Pietro shook his head. "She can't be gone."

"She is. So is Tony. Both of Earth's best defenders now gone to space for the unforeseen future. They need us to take their place," Steve said, switching into Captain America mode at once. Wanda sobbed quietly into Pietro's chest as a tear left his eye as well for their adoptive parents. Sam looked away as his eyes stinged suddenly.

Natasha sighed. "Where are we going, Cap?"

"Home."

On the spaceship, Tony and Lyra stared at Squidward threatening Dr. Strange, who had yet to give up the Time Stone. Lyra kept her hand rested over his as she surveyed the scene.

"In all the time I've served Thanos, I've never failed him. If I were to reach our rendezvous on Titan with the Time Stone still attached to your vaguely irritating person, there would be... judgement," Squidward ssid as the needles started to contact Dr. Strange's face, causing an obviously painful whitish subcutaneous glow at each touch. "Give me... the stone."

Suddenly, Tony jumped with his hand raised, ready to shoot at something beside them but stood down when he saw what it was: Strange's cloak that followed him around. Lyra's lips twitched.

"Wow you're a seriously loyal piece of outerwear, aren't you?" Tony quipped.

From behind them, Lyra turned wide-eyed at, "Yeah, uh, speaking of loyalty."

Peter dropped from above, smiling timidly at them. "What the fu—" Lyra started.

Peter looked alarmed, raising his hands. "I know what you're gonna say."

"You should not be here," Tony countered, eyes wide in fear and anger. The cloak moved to Tony and Lyra's side to back them up.

"I was gonna go home—"

"I don't wanna hear it."

"—But it was such a long way down and I just thought about you on the way—"

"And now I gotta hear it."

"—And I kinda stuck to the side of the ship. And this suit is ridiculously intuitive, by the way. So if anything, it's kinda your fault that I'm here."