81 | bombing

LYRA only told Pepper where she was going as she packed a bag for London, getting on a flight with Sam and Steve two days later

LYRA only told Pepper where she was going as she packed a bag for London, getting on a flight with Sam and Steve two days later. Steve did not want her to fight with Tony, practically begging her to go back to him, but she refused. She knew Steve needed her since Agent Peggy Carter had passed.

At the funeral, Lyra wore a dress with heels and her bracelet with her suit. She refused to leave it where Tony could take it. It was hers. Even if she did not use it hardly, it was a part of her. She was Iron Princess no matter how much she had hated the name.

"Your eyes are going orange," Sam commented.

Lyra sighed, rubbing her eyes a moment. When she looked back at Sam, he nodded. Steve had walked into the church, carrying Peggy's coffin with other men. He sat down next to Lyra, and Lyra took his hand in hers.

After some words from the priest, he smiled. "And now, I would like to invite Sharon Carter to come up and say a few words."

Sharon Carter was Steve's neighbor and an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. When Sam reached over to tap Steve's arm, Steve looked up in shock at her as she stared at him for a moment. She took a breath before smiling awkwardly.

"Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of S.H.I.E.L.D., but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy. She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related." Sharon looked directly at Steve. "I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. And she said, compromise where you can. But where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move... it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in they eye and say, No, you move."

After the funeral, Lyra and Sam sat on the pew next to Steve as Natasha walked over to them. Steve glanced at her for a moment.

"When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I had known was gone. Then I found out that she was alive. I was just lucky to have her," Steve said, making Lyra's heart clench.

Natasha smiled. "She had you back, too."

"Who else signed?"

"Tony. Rhodey. Vision. Pietro."

Lyra looked over in shock.

Steve nodded. "Clint?"

Natasha shrugged. "Says he's retired." Lyra smirked, knowing Clint would never hand over his rights as Hawkeye.

"Wanda?" Lyra asked.

Natasha glanced at Lyra with sad eyes. She had seen how broken up Tony was over this. "TBD. I'm off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords. There's plenty of room on the jet." Lyra and Sam shook their heads as Steve sighed. "Just because it's the path of least resistance doesn't mean it's the wrong path. Staying together is more important than how we stay together."

"What are we giving up to do it?" Steve asked. "I'm sorry, Nat. I can't sign it."

Natasha smiled. "I know."

"Then what are you doing here?"

Natasha pulled him in for a hug. "I didn't want you to be alone."

Sam and Lyra smiled at their interaction as she walked off. Lyra stood, grabbing Steve's hand. "I'm not signing. I doubt Wanda will despite Pietro doing it. We got your back, Cap."

He squeezed her hand once before walking off with Sam following. Lyra sighed, turning on her phone to make sure her jet was still there waiting for her to take her home. She could see texts from Tony, but she only sighed and ignored him for now.

When she made it home almost four hours later, Tony was not there. Pepper and Charlotte were. She was surprised to see Happy as well. Smiling, Pepper hugged her.

"What're you doing here?" Lyra asked Happy as she hugged him.

"Tony was freaking out about your location since the bombing at Vienna," Happy admitted.

"Bombing?" Lyra asked with wide eyes. "Friday, pull up the bombing in Vienna."

Around her she saw headlines that screamed:

WINTER SOLDIER: TERRORIST AT WORK. KILLS HUNDREDS.

"Shit," Lyra muttered. "Shit, oh, shit." She pulled out her phone. "Pick up, pick up!"

Pepper and Happy watched nervously.

"I need you to stay out of this one," Steve's voice filtered through. "Sam and I are going after him."

"They'll arrest you!"

"Exactly why I need you to stay away. That and I don't know if Bucky did this," Steve said.

"I don't understand."

"He's been living in hiding for the past two years. Why would he come out for a bombing?" Steve asked.

Lyra gasped. "Do you think he was framed?"

"I do. I just need to find him before the government does. They'll kill him on sight," Steve said.

"I'll meet you—"

"Sam and I will find him. You keep Tony busy," Steve requested. Lyra nodded though he could not see her as he ended the call.

Lyra was gripping her hair. "If I do something, I'm a criminal. If I don't, I'm a horrible person."

Happy grabbed her arm. "You need to do what's right. Not what's easy."

Pepper nodded. "He's right," she whispered. "Even if Tony's on the opposite side."

Lyra rubbed her forehead as she walked to her bedroom to change. "I just want peace," she called.